Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • My Mother's Treadle needs someone to love it >
  • My Mother's Treadle needs someone to love it

• My Mother's Treadle needs someone to love it

Old 02-14-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by jaba
    If this falls through please let me know. I have a son the lives in Bellingham and he would pick it up for me. Hubby and I have restored several. This one is the latest, took a while to find the birdseye wood, but we did.[ATTACH=CONFIG]462259[/ATTACH]
    You have done one amazing restoration on that cabinet.......it looks fabulous!!
    Old 02-14-2014, 03:32 PM

Kayluvstoquilt very graciously gave the machine to me and I went to get it this morning. The machine head and drawers are inside and I'm waiting to unload the rest. It's a beautiful machine and though I don't normally name machines this one will be named "Ella" after Kay's mother.
    The cabinet will be going into my shop for the time being while undergoing a "spa" treatment before I bring her in and put her back to work.
    Thank you again,
    Rodney
    Old 02-14-2014, 04:02 PM

I'm sure glad that you found a good home for your treadle. I sure wish I was close enough to get it. It will be one beautiful machine when it's refurbished.
    Old 02-14-2014, 04:18 PM

That is so awesome to hear she got a home and that hopefully we can see her progress. Love this board!
    Old 02-14-2014, 04:37 PM

So happy you got it Rodney, so keep us updated on Ella (My Aunts name).
    Carol
    Old 02-14-2014, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
    That is so awesome to hear she got a home and that hopefully we can see her progress. Love this board!
    That's my intent. If things go my way I'll start a new thread to show how I go about repairing the wood on the case. Bad veneer is one of the biggest and most common issues I see on old treadle cabinets. I think it puts a lot of potential buyers off when it doesn't have to and I think a lot of machines end up trashed because of it. My way certainly isn't the only way of doing things, possibly not the best either, it's just what works for me. The biggest issue to me is the missing front. I can make a new front but I don't have the skills to carve new moldings to match the originals. I can either buy new moldings to apply that are close in style or search out a used front to replace it. That's a bit down the road. I'll make the other repairs before I tackle that one. Tomorrow I'll be spending some quality time in my shop making some space so I can fit the cabinet in there and get started. I'll also have to get my table saw running again. The motor is currently out for new bearings.
    Rodney
    Old 02-14-2014, 07:03 PM

I'd like to see it when you get it restored. Lots of work but they are so beautiful. The one I posted runs like a top, it's my legs that give out. Can't imagine doing a whole quilt on it, think I need to have started many years ago.
    Old 02-14-2014, 07:53 PM

I'm looking forward to using it. I see it as therapy. I have melanoma that first made itself known in the bottom of my left foot. It's a long story but the short version is I haven't been able to walk correctly for so long my tendons have actually shrunk in my left leg and foot. I have about 1/4 the range of motion in my ankle that I should have and I can't fully straighten my leg either. Treadling might be a good way to keep my left ankle flexing so I stretch those tendons out again.
    Rodney
    Old 02-15-2014, 03:33 AM

I may have something you could use. I bought a front drawer with that molding on it as it has the inner molded tray. I want the inner molding. Right now I can' find where I put it LOL!! I'm not sure if I can remove the front board without damage to the part I want, but I know I could remove the molding.

It has the exact same front molding as mine. It's not in as nice of shape, but a bit of wood filler here and there would take care of it.
    Old 02-15-2014, 04:00 AM

I found it.

The front is not as wide as what I on my cabinet. It's from an older style cabinet, still a pull out drawer.

However it is shorter than the tip out style of drawer. - so if that is what you need this front could be trimmed to fit.

This is a full size 36" cabinet and not the newer 34" cabinet. the missing 2" on the newer units is right out of the middle, so if you look for a replacement tip out drawer, make sure you get the longer one. This one measures 19.25", the shorter one is only 17.25".

With the tip out, the two "ends" are screwed into the top, so if it has that style you should see two screw holes on each side where this was. Otherwise you should see some sort of slide rail or marks on the sides of the dust cover.

Drawers for treadle cabinets are offered for sale quite regularly on eBay.

if you interested, you can send me PM