Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bargello colors FINALLY!! >

Bargello colors FINALLY!!

Bargello colors FINALLY!!

Old 03-25-2014, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
OK, I've got all my fabrics. What do y'all think of the arrangement ? I'm making surf song, thus the different colors.
Beautiful fabrics. I agree with the others on the 2 whites looking too similar & the 2 darks on the end being very much alike. After looking at the Surf Song pattern, they do use 2 darks that are almost the same. To me the whites need a bit more color change.

Another thing I see which kind of looks off to me is the 10th fabric from the right...the pink/yellowy one...looks like it needs to be moved next to the lilac/purple one. It just doesn't seem to be playing nice with the 2 on either side of it. I really like zinger fabrics in my quilts. The yellow in that piece of fabric is just crying out for a friend with some yellow in it.

Another board member made the same quilt http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...o-t196694.html

I looked up Surf Song Bargello quilt images using Yahoo. Those quilts are gorgeous. Seems like almost any variations of fabrics makes into a gorgeous quilt with this pattern. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:57 AM

I disagree about the two light, I see a variation, but the second to last two, #'s 22 and 23 read as the same to me.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

You have a large gap between 3 & 4 jumping from a light to a dark. I agree with the two very lights. 15-17, you may depending on the final size of the bargello rectangle, the colors might become muddy because of the numerous colors. 21 also has a lot of what appears to be grayish tones. I have mostly worked with the smaller segments (1" x 0.5"") of Eileen's quilts. Before you cut, you may want to sew a test strip and either take a picture changing the colors to black & white or scan the fabric in black & white color mode. Good Luck!!!
Old 03-25-2014, 04:38 AM

I've made 2 bargellos- you have done a great job picking your fabrics. While I agree on how your 2 lightest and 2 darks read,this, if the placement is right give you a "whitecap" effect and the 2 darkest can give the deeper water effect. I do agree you may have some issues with 15-17 #16 may play better moved to the greens, but a monitor view can be inaccurate so you will make the right placement. Take your time, stay very organized, some system of labeling is crucial, as is starching, starching, starching :-) enjoy the process! Looking forward to your pictures.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

Wow very nice. Have her book just haven't worked up the nerve to start one.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:04 AM

Love your color combination. Make a small sample to begin with. If there is a problem with either the two apparent ight ones or the two dark ones on the right end it will show up before you get too far into the project. However, it appears that your selections, as you show them, are lovely and will make a stunning quilt. Keep us posted.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:18 AM

I agree that you need more contrast in the center whites and the darkest two on the right. I can't wait to see your finished product for I know it will be gorgeous.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:47 AM

Beautiful fabric! I have made two Surf Songs, and I think these fabrics will look really good. Remember that fabric doesn't always photograph exactly as you see it...or at least it doesn't when I use my camera. (My purple can often turn out sort of blue from my camera....) Meaning your two darks and two whites may very well be just different enough...

I just selected fabric for my 5th bargello. I am feeling quite brave, as I am not following a pattern. I am just jumping in. I made a earthtone wall hanging bargello in January and now feel that I need a bedspread to match it. The wall hanging also didn't have a pattern, but it was small enough I was prepared to not beat myself up if I goofed it all up. Not so generous with a bed sized project.

So, start cutting the strips and go for it. Are you making the wall hanging size or the bed size??

Dina
Old 03-25-2014, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by mrodarme View Post
what timing..i just spent the afternoon looking for bargello...but the websites dont hand hold....im looking at the diamonds bargello...i think b/c its the pink brown that i want to try...your pallette is beautiful, i hope you share the finished product...if anyone has any advice on how to start one of these, im interested...thanks....
I asked for advice back when I started my first bargello in November, and ...if I can figure out how to get it here...this site can be real helpful. Then, if you want to follow my millions of questions these wonderful folks helped me with, just search for bargello on this board. You should find my progress documented quite well, as I had help every step of the way!

Dina

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t235168.html
Old 03-25-2014, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Beautiful fabric! I have made two Surf Songs, and I think these fabrics will look really good. Remember that fabric doesn't always photograph exactly as you see it...or at least it doesn't when I use my camera. (My purple can often turn out sort of blue from my camera....) Meaning your two darks and two whites may very well be just different enough...

I just selected fabric for my 5th bargello. I am feeling quite brave, as I am not following a pattern. I am just jumping in. I made a earthtone wall hanging bargello in January and now feel that I need a bedspread to match it. The wall hanging also didn't have a pattern, but it was small enough I was prepared to not beat myself up if I goofed it all up. Not so generous with a bed sized project.

So, start cutting the strips and go for it. Are you making the wall hanging size or the bed size??

Dina
I am going for the gold! I'm going to make a kingsize quilt. Wish me luck