Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frixion Pen ?? >

Frixion Pen ??

Frixion Pen ??

Old 04-09-2014, 05:22 AM

I have also heard that it may leave a white line.....esp. on batiks......but if you dampen the line - it goes away.
I mainly use it to mark spots that are on the inside.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by kakels View Post
They are a great aid, but beware, if someone leaves a kid's quilt out in the car when it's cold, the marks will reappear. But they will disappear again after ironing . Supposedly it says this on the packaging.
I would think tossing the quilt in the dryer for a bit would accomplish the same thing. My problem with the pens I've had is they seem to have very little ink. I bought a pack of three and only one of them really works.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
For me it wouldn't make any difference as both draw a line that is fine enough. Be sure to test the pen once you get it on your fabric. Overall I've had really good results with Frixon however I have had some instances where after the fabric was ironed you could see where the Frixon pen line had been. It was almost like it was a bleach line. This doesn't happen often so if you test it on your fabric and don't get this result you should be good to go. I have different color pens (a Christmas gift from my son) but really use mostly the black and blue ones so I wouldn't spend extra for the other colors.
If you happen to get the fine light line after ironing, these will disappear when you wash the quilt........
Old 04-09-2014, 06:04 AM

I left mine on the sewing porch with no a/c last summer & couldn't understand why the new pens fresh out of the package wouldn't work. Then read somewhere to put them in the freezer for while and guess what, just like new. DH did ask tho why I had ink pens in the freezer. lol
Old 04-09-2014, 06:07 AM

I have to agree with sparky's mom. The pen always seem to be running out of ink. Don't know if I got an old one or not but the ink does not last long! The pens are not cheap and it is annoying to have the ink run out as quickly as it does. Other than that the pens are fine.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:09 AM

redbreast addition--
Just read where putting pens in the freezer revives them so will definitely try that.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:14 AM

I love the black Frixion pens for marking light fabrics. Our LQS had Frixion markers (markers - not pens) in colors and I purchased yellow to mark dark green fabric. Big mistake not to test first...it didn't come out...ever.

The pens are great, but look out for the markers.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by kakels View Post
I love the frixion pens too, but it was recently brought up at class, that the mark reappear when the quilt gets below freezing. So one of the ladies tried it. Yup, when the quilt got cold the marks reappeared even after laundering a few times. They are a great aid, but beware, if someone leaves a kid's quilt out in the car when it's cold, the marks will reappear. But they will disappear again after ironing . Supposedly it says this on the packaging.
Yes, the marks do reappear when the quilt gets cold but the lines are not as distinct so I'm thinking that each time you apply heat and put in the cold the lines continue to fade. It would be interesting to test that theory.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:54 AM

I love my Frixion pens. I use them all the time. I have noticed that the marked line sometimes doesn't show right away. It acts like the ink has to dry before it shows on some fabrics. Yes - I know that if someone freezes one of my quilts the marks will reappear, and I know that the chemicals "might" someday cause damage to them, but that does not stop me from using them. I really do love them.
Julie
Old 04-09-2014, 07:25 AM

I buy the refills for the pen s. Saves me lots of money.