Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stained Glass Wallhanging Progress and Question >

Stained Glass Wallhanging Progress and Question

Stained Glass Wallhanging Progress and Question

Old 04-09-2014, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
I love your quilt, but I think I would have used the pre-made 1/4" black bias tape to mimic the leading of stained glass where the fabrics in the rays join, then to cover the edges of the rays where the background fabric shows through, then all around the cross. To sew the bias tape on, use a double needle slightly narrower than the bias tape, which will sew both edges down at the same time.
I thought about bias binding, but it doesn't come narrow enough, the ¼" is way to wide. I will look into maybe framing it with the binding though.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:56 AM

Your quilt is wonderful! I too love the colors and shadowing which really set off the cross. Is there a pattern? I would really like to make a similar one--for NEXT Easter!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:00 AM

Your quilt is wonderful; such a lovely expression of your faith. I love the shadowing and colors which really highlight the cross. Is there a pattern? I would really like to make a similar quilt for NEXT Easter!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:02 AM

Oops--double post.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:05 AM

Your quilt is wonderful! I too love the colors and shadowing which really set off the cross. Is there a pattern? I would really like to make a similar one--for NEXT Easter!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:16 AM

Actually, there is no pattern. I saw a wallhanging and fell in love with it, thinking I would make one for my grandson who is graduating from college next month. I contacted the artist who made it and asked her if she had a pattern I could buy. She said that she didn't, but if I want to make one and had any questions, she would be happy to help. I literally spent months [off and on of course] trying to make my pattern. The first pattern I made and used to cut out the pieces just didn't work, so, I did it a second time. This time it was better, but not perfect. But the 3rd time was a charm, but I still had to recut many pieces. My friends think I lost my last brain cell, but I really wanted to give it to my DGS because he is going into seminary in the fall.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:41 AM

Old 04-10-2014, 09:11 PM

What makes a quilt wavy is that the binding is longer on one side than the other (especially the side seams). Measure the length of your quilt on the sides and down the middle. Average the three numbers and use that as the length you will need for the binding on the sides. Do the same thing for the width of the quilt. I hope that makes sense. Does anybody have another way of preventing the wave?-
Old 04-10-2014, 10:07 PM

Personally I would do a normal double binding which is hand stitched at the back. Leave the double sticky off. When you hang if the edge is wobbly. Quick a row of the weighted things that go in the base of wedding dresses undo base of the binding put in and resew.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:24 AM

Great ideas, thanks!