Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I  didn't know it would be so fun! >
  • I didn't know it would be so fun!

• I didn't know it would be so fun!

Old 04-19-2014, 04:55 AM

Haha, I loved reading this thread. It almost makes me want to try it again. I took a fm class at an AQS show 5 years ago with a couple of friends....I sucked!! It was so embarrassing and frustrating. Now mind you most of the people in the class were first timers just like me. I was so bad in comparison to the others that the teacher subtly gave me all her samples and told me to go home and practice. They are still sitting in the sack. Trouble is I love piecing so much that it is hard to take time away from that to do something so frustrating and nonproductive.
    Old 04-19-2014, 05:27 AM

Definitely take one of the Craftsy classes. I took the "Quilting a big quilt on a regular sewing machine" and it really gave me some good info. I love FMQ on my domestic machine. I've done a few queen size quilts and it is very doable (?). The hardest part, I think, is getting the quilt ready to quilt - the basting part. Sometimes I pin baste, sometimes I spray baste and I have even used long stitches (by hand) to hand baste. I have my daughter come over and help me to get it laid out on the floor - the backing, batting and top. Like I said - if you get that part down, you're on your way. I started out with meandering, stippling and now have graduated to making leaves, trees, flowers and whatever else I feel like - depending on the quilt. I also took "Quilting a Sampler" by Leah Day (Craftsy) and that was very helpful. It won't be perfect the first few times - but start out on a fabric with a pattern so the not so great stitches won't be as noticeable and a thread - both on the back & front - that blends with the fabric. Just little tricks I've found work. Keep trying and good luck.
    Old 04-19-2014, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaK
    Good for you. I need to purchase a quilting foot and try to do it. My feed dogs don't lower, but I think that if I put something over them it would work. Congratulations and I can't wait to see what you do. Have fun. BrendaK
    Set your stitch length to zero and you can FMQ away! You probably won't need to cover your feed dogs but if you still want to, all you'll need is an index card
    Old 04-19-2014, 06:12 AM

Good to know. I am taking a class at our quilt festival this year. I am ready for fun. How big do you make your sandwiches?
    Old 04-19-2014, 06:30 AM

I just used leftovers for practice. Some were strips (approx 9"x15") and some were more squares (approx 16"x16"). I didn't make anything especially square--just scraps of muslin and batting. I think I'll do some potholders/hot pads before trying my practice quilt. Just have to find some extra time!

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement--I'm usually not so hesitant to try something new, but this was hard! I kept thinking of the TV show that the painter, Bob Ross, used to do. He would have a beautiful landscape on canvas, then came the dreaded (to me) words, "You know, I think a big tree lives right here" and he would proceed to paint said tree right in the foreground over his lovely picture! His always turned out beautifully, but the idea of my trying to put quilting all over the piecing I had worked so long on, gave me the same sinking feeling!
    Old 04-19-2014, 06:32 AM

I, like you, made a quilt sandwich and just jumped in one day and tried it. I still have a long way to go but am getting better. I actually prefer to keep my feed dogs up. Just person preference, I guess. Keep on trying and show us your efforts. Next time I do some, I will share, too.
    Old 04-19-2014, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaK
    Good for you. I need to purchase a quilting foot and try to do it. My feed dogs don't lower, but I think that if I put something over them it would work. Congratulations and I can't wait to see what you do. Have fun. BrendaK
    Sometimes the machines that can't lower the feed dogs have a little faceplate that snaps onto the main faceplate. It covers the feed dogs and has a hole in the center for the needle to go through.
    Old 04-19-2014, 08:08 AM
    Power Poster

Congratulations on taking the plunge. For some reason I can't quite seem to take that plunge, not exactly sure why, but someday soon, I hope.
    Old 04-19-2014, 01:40 PM

I just can't understand why FMQ is so terrifying to some quilters. Its drawing with your sewing machine. Who cares if its not perfect. Its fun! My Bernina and Viking seem to do better with the feed dogs up, I have more control.
    Sharon
    Old 04-19-2014, 02:17 PM

Good for you Keep it up you'll get better and better