Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt design software >
  • Quilt design software

• Quilt design software

Old 04-30-2014, 09:27 AM

EQ 7 all the way. I use it more than any other version. I think that the program has gotten easier with every upgrade. BI have owned EQ since at least 4, and wouldn't go back to any of those. 7 is much easier to work with and I even purchase the EQ Stitch program.
    The programs and support are second to none.
    Old 04-30-2014, 07:40 PM

I don't have EQ7 for windows Cindi. Only ever had eq5 and that can't be upgraded to Mac as I've read.
    Old 04-30-2014, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by jokir44
    I don't have EQ7 for windows Cindi. Only ever had eq5 and that can't be upgraded to Mac as I've read.
    Sorry - that was unclear from your earlier posts.

I bet you're excited to have a version that works on Mac!! I have a Windows machine, but Cindi has Mac and was so happy the day they released the migration kit.
    Old 04-30-2014, 09:40 PM

My experience with EQ7 is that it is not intuitive at all. It's useful for all the things mentioned throughout this thread, but it is difficult to learn. However, I bought it and designed two quilts using it, and will continue to use it when I need to. I do like being able to scan in fabrics and put them together in a sample quilt (even if it is not the quilt I plan to make with the fabrics) as it tells me if the colors/fabrics will work together. That's a real convenience for me as my Opthamologist tells me that I am more than a little color challenged.

My career background is computer science, system analysis, user screens and interface design, system testing, user guide writing, so figuring out EQ7 ought to be easy for me. I'm very logical so, of course, my assumption is that EQ7 is not!
    Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
    My experience with EQ7 is that it is not intuitive at all.

My career background is computer science, system analysis, user screens and interface design, system testing, user guide writing, so figuring out EQ7 ought to be easy for me. I'm very logical so, of course, my assumption is that EQ7 is not!
    You are not the first "computer geek" to state this. My conclusion is that the program is written more for people who do not have extensive computer education and/or experience. I think you nerds (said with affection) simply know of easier and faster ways of doing something!

There was a very extensive and enlightening thread somewhere on the internet recently, I can't remember if it was here or elsewhere. A computer geek/quilter was saying she refused to purchase EQ7 until they involved some sort of vectoring programming/algorithms, which would make it so much easier. I was fascinated by this and am wondering if that's anywhere on EQ's horizon....
    Old 04-30-2014, 11:18 PM

I just bought it and well learning it all is not easy at all!! But I am encouraged by hearing all the above praises for the program.
    Old 05-01-2014, 09:50 AM

Sorry, Jokir44 - the way your post read I thought you had EQ7, as only those who have version 7 could get the migration kit. My apologies!! I think you'll love the Mac version. It's SO much simpler to access now!!
    Old 05-01-2014, 10:16 AM

I'm really looking forward to learning this. However when I read that it isn't so easy I'm becoming a bit concerned. I do have the tutorials here on QB marked and also on the EQ site so maybe with all that I won't have too big a problem. Looks as if not knowing a lot about computers may actually be an advantage this time as I've seen from some of the above posts. Who knew that dumb would be a good thing?
    Old 05-01-2014, 01:27 PM

I'm really looking forward to learning this. However when I read that it isn't so easy I'm becoming a bit concerned. I do have the tutorials here on QB marked and also on the EQ site so maybe with all that I won't have too big a problem. Looks as if not knowing a lot about computers may actually be an advantage this time as I've seen from some of the above posts. Who knew that dumb would be a good thing?
    The EQ website offers great tips and lessons, too, along with links to others who have done tutorials. Plus, they have a forum of experts to help with any questions. Be sure to bookmark their site!
    Old 05-01-2014, 01:40 PM

While they have a forum type web site it is very inactive unless you are looking for tech help. There is a yahoo email group but after 6 emails in like 10 minutes with all of the rules I decided it was not for me. I prefer a forum that is active and hope that the users here will help if I run into a problem. I know I am willing to help any users that ask for help if I can help them.