Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Craftsy classes >

Craftsy classes

Craftsy classes

Old 05-25-2014, 01:25 PM

I have purchased several Craftsy classes. The classes I purchased were on garment sewing. I have lots of fabric and since I am disabled it's so hard for me to try clothes on in stores, so I think I will make my own. I used to garment sew when I was younger, but,I hadn't garment sewed in years. So, I bought the sewing Craftsy classes to update me and teach me fitting. I like most of the teachers, a few were a little difficult, but I haven't asked for a refund on any, so I did get use out of them all. The poster who complained that people were not taking classes at the LQS, I think didn't realize that not all people have the time for a scheduled class or in my case, I simply am unable to sit for a hour, or 2 or 3hours. My pain will NOT let me. My LQS knows me and knows that I can't come to their classes. They are very nice ladies and NEVER make me feel bad that I can't go to the classes they offer. That's why even if I don't usually need anything, if my pain level that day will allow me to go into their store for no more than 10 to 15 minutes, I will stop in and I always buy something. I just like the owners of store and even though I don't buy lots of fabric, because I already have too much, I usually buy a ruler, or two,or three. So for some people, taking classes isn't possible,but it's nothing to feel bad about. And it certainly isn't something to berate others for not attending. Sometimes life gets in the way. As far as Craftsy goes, I have never had a problem logging in. Craftsy is just wonderful for a disabled person like myself. I can go to a class and never leave my house. It's great!
Old 05-25-2014, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I just don't understand why quilters don't sign up for classes at your local quilt store. And then I see post of these stores closing. I could NOT log on to Craftsy that last time I tried. Don't know if it was a technical problem with their servers or what. Sorry, I don't mean to be negative.
Because some of us don't have a local store offering the classes we're looking for, unfortunately.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I take a lot of Craftsy classes and not just quilting. I have taken bread making, baking and cooking classes. The classes held at the closest quilt shop to me are not all that great. The instructors are usually not the best, at least one member will have machine problems, one will fall behind and want the instructor's time for one on one help or one will rush to get ahead and sit impatiently asking can we move on now, and most important to me the class rooms are not comfortable. I'll take Craftsy over quilt shop classes any day. The way the video streams depend on your computer' settings and your internet connection. It's a good way to test to see you are getting the internet connection you are paying for.
That describes perfectly the sort of experience I've had at classes run by quilt shops. I went to a superb one fronted by a lady who was a qualified teacher and was skilled at dealing with a group that had very different skill levels, but she was the exception. The other thing that has happened to me is that the classes are dominated by a little group of friends of the shop owner, and other people can feel very excluded.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:45 PM

I just don't understand why quilters don't sign up for classes at your local quilt store. And then I see post of these stores closing. I could NOT log on to Craftsy that last time I tried. Don't know if it was a technical problem with their servers or what. Sorry, I don't mean to be negative.
I do have to agree with what the others have posted. I support my LQS by buying fabrics and taking classes but I prefer, for the most part, taking Craftsy classes. I am better in the AM, not at night, and most classes are scheduled at LQS at night. I can do the Craftsy classes anytime I like. Also, I like learning new techniques and the selection is so much better at Craftsy. Our LQS tends to repeat classes instead of adding different ones. And the price... Craftsy's are reasonable and those at the LQS are expensive (around $55 for 3 sessions). Craftsy always has sales on their classes and I have to admit, I always wait for a sale. I am on JoAnn's mailing list and the other day, I got an email for the finishing class on binding, etc for $9.99. The quality of the Craftsy classes is the biggest draw for me. They are wonderful!! I have learned so much from them and I like the repeat, anytime viewing, and notes aspects. That being said, I have had some great, dedicated instructors at the LQS. I would suggest you try some. You'll love them!
Old 05-25-2014, 05:12 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Like Fran36 said, if you go to the teacher's blog or website, you can usually get any of their classes for much cheaper. I always check their website before I buy a class and get a great discount!! I am taking over 20 classes. No, I don't think I will watch all of them all the way through, but I will watch the parts I am interested in. I have watched over 10 complete classes so far. I so enjoy the classes.

For the LQS shops: They do charge so much and it's for just a few hours on Saturday. I get more for my buck with Crafty classes. I still take classes from my LQS that is 1/2 hour away, but they offer so few classes I'm interested in. They might have one class for offer a month. If I want to drive 2 1/2 hours away, I can find more classes, but they start at 8 am and I have to get up and out of the house so early in the a.m. I benefit more by having Craftsy classes on my iPad and watching them when I want. I can choose the time and rewind all I want and no one knows but me. And now all of you. Oops!
Old 05-25-2014, 08:13 PM

Love all that I have taken, all the quilting and embroidery instructors are great. I have taken the curves and beyond quilting class by ann petersen, carol doaks paper piecing, the fat quarter class, both applique fusible and machine that looks like hand, the embroidered by amanda murphy, precision piecing, bindings, and more. I have loved the classes, instructrors get back to you right away, you can go at your own pace, and if you don't like the class or have problems with an instructor they will refund your money no questions asked. I had a problem with getting questions answered in my sewing knits class, they refunded my money, let me keep the class, and also made the instructor reply to me within 2 days so really if you have any issues they will make it right. They have excellent service

Last edited by Dolphyngyrl; 05-25-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:26 PM

You can link your facebook account if you have one and sign in with that, makes it easier to sign in. I think with most the problem with the LQS is most classes are during work hours. I know for special events for my dealer I have to take off work just to go as they are always during the work week sadly. Also I am one that also doesn't do well at night so night classes aren't the best for me. craftsy is jut more convenient also you get some of these world class teachers that live out of state that you might never get to take a class with, but now you can online. There are a lot of pluses for craftsy.

Last edited by Dolphyngyrl; 05-25-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:28 PM

My experience with Craftsy classes have been great. I can even watch them on my iPhone. I, like many, only purchase classes when they are on sale. Sometimes I wait until the classes come down to $14.99. I have plenty to keep me busy until the prices of the classes come down.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:47 PM

For me, the Craftsy classes are ideal

Watch when I want as many times as I want
Stop and go back to a part I didn't quite get
You can print out information
You can ask questions

I support my LQS by buying fabric and notions, but for various reasons like others have stated I don't take classes there. I can't keep up with the group and don't want to hold anyone else up and end up with a half finished project that I can't figure out how to finish.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Like Fran36 said, if you go to the teacher's blog or website, you can usually get any of their classes for much cheaper. I always check their website before I buy a class and get a great discount!!
Good tip - thankyou.