Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you keep the box?

Do you keep the box?

I bought a new machine last fall and I kept the box. I would love to pitch it....it takes up too much room to save. My dealer is local. Anyone keep your boxes??

If i moved, it would get transported in my car Not shipped.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

When I bought my Janome 6600, my dealer said they would give me a full value trade in within 6 months but only if I had the box. I kept the box, even though I loved my machine. Once it was past the time I pitched the box. I have a tendency to keep boxes only until I am sure I want to keep it. We used to keep them forever - but decided they were just a fire hazard and have gotten rid of them since.

If you want to pitch it, pitch it. As far as me, I do keep my box that the machine came in. I have the room to save it, so if I ever decide to sell it, I can ship it in the box it came in with the styrofoam inserts that fit it.

I have learned to keep the boxes! I have a Babylock Ellisimo which is a large machine. When my dealer was servicing it; the automatic needle threader was broken and had to be sent to Babylock to be repaired. If the dealer had not saved the boxes; there would have been a $75.00 charge for new boxes to send my machine back for the needed repairs.

I have kept the box one of my machines came in because it has styrofoam fitted to the machine. I always pack it in the box to transport it. I have another machine that I purchased from someone through Craigslist, I don't have a box for it. I am sure you will get better answers from others on this board.

We tend to keep boxes. I rather wish we didn't, but my husband's theory is "Ya never know."

Dina

We had 5 years of boxes in the garage until last weekend! Now we have -0-. It became clutter...I hate the thot of having to ship a machine or pay extra but....fingers crossed!

I kept the box. What was funny was when I did move, I'd forgotten all the accessories had special places also. I'd already packed all of them in a regular box so that all that ended up in the packing box was the machine itself. That was the most important part, so it was ok. I had an attic above the garage for that type of thing. Not sure I'll have room for it where I'm going.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

I still have my Juki box--got the machine a year ago. Not sure why, but have kept it in the garage.

Power Poster
    I would keep it. One can always put something else IN the box so it isn't just taking up space.

I always keep the boxes too. But we have room down in the basement. And I did use the sewing machine box when I took it in for service.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    i keep my boxes as long as i have the room. i'm moving to a very small place, so that will probably stop.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I tossed mine and then the local dealer closed .. so now if I have to have a serious repair ... not sure how well I would get it packaged up to ship. If you have room... keep it.

Blog Entries
    Keep the box and just pack other things in it when you move. At least you will have the box if you need it.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

My box went to a very good cause , I had hung on to it for years and never used it , then my son (Bernina Tech) ask if still had it , they had had a request from lady moving to America from Australia and thought her machine would travel better in a box , so my box is somewhere in the USA it has had a good trip around the world .
    Cathy

My newer machines are all out of warranty. So I'll never ship one for repair. So out went the boxes.
    I love my life!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tennesseesews View Post
    When my dealer was servicing it; the automatic needle threader was broken and had to be sent to Babylock to be repaired. If the dealer had not saved the boxes; there would have been a $75.00 charge for new boxes to send my machine back for the needed repairs.
    I kept mine also, because a friend had this same experience. The dealer had to send the machine to the manufacturer and she was forced to purchase a new box.

I keep mine in the attic.

I always keep the box.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I kept my walmart machine in its box. My bernina I threw the box away. For one, the machine stays out all the time. Secondly, the box is like 3x the size of the Walmart machine.

I would keep as long as your machine is in warranty because if you have to ship it back for warranty service for whatever reason you will need the box, once out of warranty I would chuck. You just never know. I had to put my machine in storage for a little bit, was very glad I had the box for moving and storage,much easier and more protection
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I am so thankful that my Mom kept her boxes. When I cleaned out her sewing room I was able to pack up all 4 machines in the original boxes.

Good points...all of them! I put a table cloth over it and it is now a table, LOL !

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I keep the boxes. When I bought my Sweet 16 they told me to in case I had to ship it back. I think it has a 10 year warranty. When I bought a new embroidery machine I kept the box. It malfunctioned and I ended up sending it back for a new one. Was glad I did.

I kept the box for my Janome Jem because they said it was easier and safer to take on a plane that way. It fits into my carry-on and I don't worry as much when putting it in the overhead bin.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

I keep my boxes for my sewing machines and computers. You never know when you will need them. Have a shelf up high in the garage that they all fit on. Never know when they will be needed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast