Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bindings >

Bindings

Bindings

Old 08-01-2014, 03:21 AM
Power Poster

First of all, like everyone else on the board has said, there is no right or wrong way to do binding. I just heard from a friend who is a beginner quilter tell me that Nancy Zimmerman uses Heat n Bond to attach the binding before sewing. Never hear THAT before and I have have been quilting over 25 years. Many quilter who totally stitch the binding on by machine will start by stitching the binding to the back and then it is easier to make sure that the binding is caught with stitching by machine on the top. I would prefer to see a decorative design instead of attempting a straight stitch but that is just my opinion.

I would NOT change the 13th quilt because that would be a waste of time and effort. Just finish it as you have done with the previous 12 quilts and then on 14th quilt, try the method that most quilters use when hand stitching binding to the back.

There is NEVER only ONE WAY to do anything in quilting. Just have fun and enjoy the process of making a quilt.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:32 AM

I always stitch to the back and flip to the front. I machine bind all of my quilts so I want the final seam on the front where I can make sure it's landing in the right spot. The back...well, it wobbles a bit on and off the binding sometimes. But I'm OK with that - each one is a little better than the last.

If your binding looks good to YOU, you've done it right.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:38 AM

I really hope you will go back to being pleased with your quilts! Definitely do not re-do that 13th binding!
Old 08-01-2014, 06:14 AM

I always sew my binding to the back first, then machine stitch it to the front ensuring the front stitching line lands right on top of the first. To ensure this happens, before I sew it to the back I finger press creases in the binding by folding it into thirds so I know exactly where to sew, often times it will be slightly larger tan the standard 1/4 inch, often 3/8 inch for a 2-1/2 inch strip. Set your needle over to accommodate that exact width and you can complete a kong sized binding, front and back, in 1/2 hour. I have to tell them it is machine stitched on the front, it is so hidden. Of course if it is to be judged at a quilt show do it the old horse and buggy way! Lol
Old 08-01-2014, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by csharp View Post
Remember, there IS no quilting police...do what brings you satisfaction and joy. I only do machine binding, always square corners, and sew the back first then put a decorative stitch on the front to secure down. That's my way, and I'm sticking to it...not a single person has ever complained about the quilts that are gifted to them. Enjoy the process.
This is my way, also. Always looks ok to me.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:04 AM

Keep on trucking and don't worry about the "correct" way. My mom recently bound a quilt for a friend of mine and did it the way you do. She did that mainly because my friend wanted extra large binding but wanted it small on the back (like normal) and large on the front so that it really looked almost like an extra border. I have to say it came out really cool on that quilt. If you are going your binding by hand one side is hand stitched - does it really matter which side that is - I say NO.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

First of all 13 quilts does not warrant an excuse of "only" - that is quite the achievement. Good for you. Now for the binding. If you watch 5 binding videos, you will get 5 different ways of attaching it, and your method is one of them. If you are happy with the quality of your stitching, then there is NOTHING wrong with the way you do it. I have 3 different ways to attach binding, and one of them is to bring it to the front and sew it down by machine. Don't let the "YOU MUST DO IT THIS WAY!" rules get you down. Next time, try it the new way and see which one YOU like better.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:11 PM

I always start on the back and fold to the front, but I machine mine on, so you're a step ahead of me! I do it that way because I want the front of the quilt to look its best. Someday I might try hand stitching bindings on, but I'm not very talented at hand sewing so this is has always been the best option for me. Seems to me that this is one of those things that some people do one way, others do another. No right or wrong.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:28 AM

I sew my binding to the back first, fold it over, and machine stitch to the front -- most of the time using a straight stitch. I like having the binding seam fairly even on the front, and this method works for me, whether the quilt is a "fun" small one or a bed-size one. Plus, I've never pressed the binding strip before I attached it to the quilt. If my binding is a little "whunker-jawed," a pressed edge makes it even more noticeable. I've even begun playing with the binding measurements a little bit: I was taught to use 2 1/4" binding strips, but I've used 2 1/2" very successfully and have even tried 3" strips. It works for me, and the quilt police haven't locked me up yet!!
Old 08-02-2014, 04:40 AM

Just because it's on a printed page doesn't make it law. You can do what you like and frankly I prefer your method and use it all the time. Unless I am going to sew it down by hand it goes on the back and then folds to the front for machine stitching. Don't stress about what someone else think, does, or writes.. Do what works for you.