Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever done THIS? >

Have you ever done THIS?

Have you ever done THIS?

Old 08-17-2014, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

I have done this before. I like what Tartan has said. Just take apart exactly where the pin is and then stitch it up again. Safety first. I feel your frustration. Been there, Done that !!
Old 08-17-2014, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I would find which way the pin was facing and back it off with my fingers until the ball was at a seam. I would see if the ball would fit through the space between the stitches and pull/push it out. If it is under the batt, I would wiggle it through the batt and out through the seam. If the seam is to tight, I would clip a stitch and take out enough of the stitching that I could tie off the ends, remove the pin and hand stitch the opening closed. It would drive me crazy knowing it was in there!
Ditto! LOL
Old 08-17-2014, 05:19 AM

Just thought of this.....What would happen if you found the top of the pin, work the tip of the pin outside the table runner, get a wash rag or something put it on top of the top of the pin, and give it a nice hefty tap with a hammer. You will crush the top, be able to just pull the pin itself out and no one would be any the wiser. The top of the pin would be crushed and in teeny pieces. Anyhow, that's what I would do.

I TRIED IT! IT WORKS - IT REALLY DOES! The top of the pin with the "ball" on it flattens out and the pin, itself, slides right out. Son of a gun, I AM GOOD!!!!!!!!! The "ball" flattens out so nice, that you probably won't even know that it is in the runner. I tried slamming it on a table. Better off going outside and do it on the sidewalk or something concrete. Works like a charm. Hope it works for you. That is my 76th birthday present to you all who have a pin stuck in your work. Never too old to figure things out or learn, eh? Edie
Old 08-17-2014, 05:58 AM

I would do as Tartan would.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:36 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions. You were right (of course) it was bugging me so much I couldn't sleep and was thinking about this. So when I got up this morning the first thing I did (after making coffee of course) was to look at it closer to figure out the best way to get the pin out. As it turned out the shaft of the pin was facing sideways (parallel to the edge) so I was able to maneuver the ball over and out between stitches pretty easily. The whole pin was intact and is now gone. I put it right in the little Rx jar with the childproof cap I use to store the bent pins and needles so no one gets hurt. I will take it to my LQS when full and the shop owner will add them with hers to dispose of. No more sleepless nights for me! Now if I could just figure out how to post a pic from my IPad I would show you the cute little runner - pin free . Thanks again for all your help!
Old 08-17-2014, 06:49 AM

Been there done that. I still hear about the wedding quilt I made for my daughter and when they opened it at the shower my son in law got stabbed with it. My main concern is loosing pins or needles in baby quilts so I now take my needle out when I am finished for the day. I also have left pins, the kind with the heads on them in quilts, I have always been able to get them out, not with the head but it was the pin that concerned me, I think the head buried its self in the batting when I pulled it off the pin.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:41 PM

This past year I was stitching down the hanging sleeve on a baby wall hanging, and was almost finished when I got interrupted. When I came back, the next step was into the wash machine. I never saw that needle again, and the wash machine still works. LOL It's a front loader, and I have heard they're pretty fussy about that sort of thing.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:44 PM

Oh Yes!. I ended up taking out just the part of the binding the pin was in. I think all quilters do this at least once if not more often.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I would find which way the pin was facing and back it off with my fingers until the ball was at a seam. I would see if the ball would fit through the space between the stitches and pull/push it out. If it is under the batt, I would wiggle it through the batt and out through the seam. If the seam is to tight, I would clip a stitch and take out enough of the stitching that I could tie off the ends, remove the pin and hand stitch the opening closed. It would drive me crazy knowing it was in there!

Me, too! And this is how I'd do it, too.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:44 AM

Yes! I've done that.. Just as I see you have done..other mentioned techniques also work..Pin Free is best