Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric squares >
  • Fabric squares

• Fabric squares

Old 05-02-2015, 04:45 AM

I do cut 5" squares out of my scraps. I love the Pat Speth method of using 5" squares in her nickel square patterns. They are all scrappy but very interesting quilt designs. I'm like someone else who said the 3" squares would make great 2 1/2" HST. You could do a scrappy Lady of the Lake with them. Susan
    Old 05-02-2015, 04:58 AM

Definitely. I'm surprised if you haven't heard that actually many people do this with their scraps. This way they are ready in an instant for whatever you need in 2.5" (for example--that is the size I like the best) sizes. I once had a whole bucket full.

But I've done it with 3", 4" 5" and 6". It is how I can have young girls over, bring over the plastic container of 6" squares and say, "Let's make something from these."
    Old 05-02-2015, 06:54 AM

Bonnie K. Hunter of Quiltville has a method for scrap cutting. You can find it on her website.
    Old 05-02-2015, 06:55 AM

I have a lot of 2 1/2" floral blocks. I need ideas of what to make with them!!
    Old 05-02-2015, 07:01 AM

I have cut lots of squares to sew into 4 patches and alternate them with machine embroidery blocks to make many children's quilts.
    Old 05-03-2015, 03:25 AM

I now people who cut all of their scraps into nice squares like that. Not me. When I am finished with a project the little scraps go in my scrap bin, which is bursting at the seams. Anything a little bit bigger goes back back into bins sorted by color. I do a lot of paper piecing and use it for those.
    Old 05-03-2015, 06:02 AM

I appreciate the input! I'd understand this if it was scraps but it's obviously lengths of fabric that have been cut into three different sizes of squares - yes, I found more squares, cut even smaller, at the bottom of a bag.

I'm seeing HSTs and postage stamp projects in my future!
    Old 05-03-2015, 06:05 AM

I cut the biggest square I can ouf of any scrap fabric and then the next size down until I have used as much of the fabric as I possibly can. I start out at 10", 9" 8, 7, 6 1/2", 6", 5 1/2" 5" and on down to 1 1/2 inches. I won't cut anything smaller than 1 1/2 inches and then put them in clear boxes with only one size in each box. Needless to say I am definitely behind with cutting the squares, and anything to do with quilting, after two open heart surgeries, a move, and a zillion of other distractions. I am still trying to get my sewing room unpacked and organized, but getting there little by little. I love scrappy quilts and others as well, but haven't made anything other than charity baby quilts for some time with everything else going on. One of these days if the GL lets me live long enough I will utilize all my efforts hopefully. Love to hear everyone's ideas of what they do with their scraps. I think they multiply over night though as my boxes seem to grow rather than shrink. Have a scrappy save-all started (as my Grandmother called it) in the form of stars and that used a lot of odd shaped pieces, but still need to get it together yet.

Best get busy at working in that room instead of spending all my time on this board, but oh it is so interesting and so many neat ideas and pretty quilts.

Happy quilting everyone.
    Old 05-03-2015, 10:24 AM
    Power Poster

There are a lot of people who cut their scraps into different shapes.
    Old 05-03-2015, 07:20 PM

Here is a link to Bonnie Hunter's Scrap User System. She explains why she cuts her scraps into certain sizes.

http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml