Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding for Vintage Quilt? >

Binding for Vintage Quilt?

Binding for Vintage Quilt?

Old 07-28-2015, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

I might be tempted to use just a white binding, so it would not take away from that totally awesome quilt.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:03 PM

I know it would be difficult, but a knife edge binding would go best with the age of the quilt. Batting is trimmed back 1/4th inch smaller than top and back, then top and back seam allowances are turned in and hand stitched right along the edge. We did our Grandmother's Flower Garden that way last year. It was well done, looked beautiful, and kept the edge of each flower showing. No need to match anything.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:20 AM

Doesn't it feel awesome to finish a quilt that someone special couldn't finish?? Definitely, take the quilt w/ you to see what you see. With all of the different muslins and solids, you might get lucky to find something to match.

I had a similar thing w/ a quilt...I took it to a large quilt show w/ me and looked at every single fat quarter people brought w/ them. Who knew there were sooooo many fat quarters/!?!?!!? I had to match a 30s bubblegum pink print...and found a little pindot that worked.

It was worth the hunt. Good luck!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]526357[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 018.jpg  
Old 07-29-2015, 03:43 AM

One of the purposes of a binding is to make a frame for the quilt so the eye stops 'wandering'. Therefore, I would not choose white. Why not 'google vintage fabric' and see if you could find sellers of vintage fabric. I know there is a shop in Leadville, Colorado, that only sells vintage fabric, linens, patterns, etc. That way, you might find a great match. How about a fabric with just a tiny polka dot? Your quilt is a treasure and I know it will be special over the years.