Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Best fix for cutting errors >
  • Best fix for cutting errors

• Best fix for cutting errors

Old 08-13-2015, 02:56 AM

That often happens when you do a "community" project. Each quilter will be making her own fat or skinny 1/4" seams and when they bring them all to be put together, you may have a challenge on your hands. To me, pieced is beautiful, but I have made my own set of mistakes--depending on the number of seams. That is why a sampler is such a challenge, though it looks simple.
    Old 08-13-2015, 03:08 AM

I'd ease the block together - you may have to unpick the occasional seam but they are short so it wouldn't take long.
    Honestly - we are our own worst critics - it's not for a show and you said yourself you are not looking for "perfection" ...
    Old 08-13-2015, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ
    I'd ease the block together - you may have to unpick the occasional seam but they are short so it wouldn't take long.
    Honestly - we are our own worst critics - it's not for a show and you said yourself you are not looking for "perfection" ...
    Or just change one side. Personally, I would just ease it in with the baggy bottom on the bottom.
    Old 08-13-2015, 06:41 AM

Just restitch a tiny bit in on each sashing side. You can't do just one side, as that will make the one corner piece to short/narrow. That's what I'd do. You don't have to remeasure...just stitch right next to the existing stitching.

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I'd just make new pieces. I don't let stuff like this bug me, I start over and forget it.
    Old 08-13-2015, 06:43 AM

I agree with several others... just ease it in putting the baggy bottom on the bottom. It isn't that far off so should ease in with no problem. It won't be noticed by anyone else
    Old 08-13-2015, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gail B
    I would take one of the squares off each sashing piece that is cut too large and trim to correct size. That way you only have to take out one seam, resew & your blocks will be perfect. It won't take that long to rip out the short seams. I think that would be better than taking a wider seam.
    Gail and Janedee have the correct answer for me. There is way too much to ease into so short a space. Then the other side must be eased also to make it fit. I would take off one small square from each sashing piece, cut the extra off and resew the small square back on. Such a short seam will come out quickly, and you will feel better about it the rest of your life.
    And throwing it away is out of the question for me. Someone would love it either way.
    Best of luck!
    Old 08-13-2015, 07:36 AM

Yea! Close enough. Thanks to you all for your encouragement. I chose to ease it in. The edges line up perfectly so I will just measure & cut my Sun Bonnet blocks accordingly. Here's the first one-- I haven't blocked it yet so it's a bit wavy but easy to block into square.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]527661[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]527662[/ATTACH]

After re-reading all the comments, I am going to block it and make sure it comes out okay-ish. If it's too ripple-y then I can always unsew 13 of the short seams & cut the white to size.

Just one more challenge on parts of this quilt I thought would be the easy parts. First, I had problems using a 28mm cutter with my new ShapeCut, then the piece I sent out for embroidery with the top clearly labeled "TOP" came back upside down. Now I found my ruler cutting left something to be desired. Lots of little "lessons" learned on this quilt and it's not even done yet. Can't wait to finish!
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by Bree123; 08-13-2015 at 07:47 AM.
    Old 08-13-2015, 08:30 AM

I would take one square off the end, cut it back to size and restitch. If you don't the problems will keep compounding themselves.
    Old 08-13-2015, 10:30 AM

I cut the sashing to the correct 10" size. It's the inner blocks that are off and I strip pieced them so they're all off my that 1/8". My finished blocks will just have to be 9 7/8" square. I'm not a fan of unsewing so unless I cannot block it straight, I think I'll just stick with the easing & cut my Sun Bonnet blocks at 9 7/8" square to match. That's the last step I have besides the quilt border & I just measure that to size.

Next time before I start strip piecing everything, I'll make a sample block to make sure I've cut the pieces properly. Now that I have a 45mm cutter (thanks, Barb!) and can use my ShapeCut hopefully I won't have this problem again. Meanwhile, if anyone sees the Quilt Police, please wave them past my house. I know the "right" thing to do is to unsew or recut everything, but I'm just not that motivated with a love quilt for family. If I were selling it or entering it in a show, I'd have to bite the bullet & redo it all, but most people cannot tell that piecing is off by 1/16" on either side of a block and I just want to get on with the actual quilting.
    Old 08-13-2015, 10:48 AM
    Power Poster

You could have resewn the sashing strips to fit the nine patches and then squared up the block.