Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello! New here and jumping in with Machine Purchase help >

Hello! New here and jumping in with Machine Purchase help

Hello! New here and jumping in with Machine Purchase help

Old 09-28-2015, 04:46 PM

Like QuiltnNan, I have never need to adjust tension on my Juki!! But the dial on the machine is right on the front, easy to turn, and the bobbin tension is adjusted by a simple turn of a screw on the bobbin casing. But, the tension has always been perfect no matter what I sew or quilt on it.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:51 PM

LEANING heavily toward the Juki's!! Price is a perfect fit. Any other suggestions??
Old 09-28-2015, 05:31 PM

I have to go to New Hampshire to try the Juki 2010. It was at a quilting show. I liked it but after trying the Janome 8900. I decided to spend the money on the Janome. This will be my last machine. I only paid $2400.00 for the 8900. Go to a quilting show because the machines are marked down. My machine was a left over that wasn't sold at a show. The prices are all over the place for what people paid for them. Some people on this board brought their machine from dealers from another state due to the price. Do a search on this board for the Janome 8900 and see what other people reported. Some time it is better to wait and save your money to get what you really want. The Juki is a really nice machine but very limited. I can't believe that Juki don't have dealers in every state.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:49 PM

dflynn...that was my thought...why doesn't Juki have more dealers? I guess they are just not marketed very well. So, do you do FMQ with your Janome 8900? How has it been? I really can't wait for a quilt show...that won't be until next April about an 1hr 40 min. from me. Boy, you'd think I lived on another planet! LOL!!! HEY! I just saw your location...RI! I'm in CT! We're neighbors! There is a Juki dealer out on the Cape...just an FYI. Might be a bit closer than NH.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:27 PM

If you have an industrial Juki dealer near by GO! Tell him what you want to sew, sit down at one of the machines and let him show you what they can do. Feet are plentiful and cheap and you will have plenty of space to quilt. As a bonus it will have a full rotary hook which will free motion quilt like a dream.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:39 PM

I have two Juki's, the TL98Q (older version of the TL210Q) and the Exceed HZL600. I bought my first one used from a quilt buddy for half the price of a new one ($550) and paid $1099 Canadian for my Exceed 600. I love both machines and rarely have to touch the tension. They are not picky about thread and just sew without jamming, growling or skipping stitches (unlike my Janome 6500 which I really really disliked for all of the previously mentioned problems)! I had to have my Exceed shipped in from Manitoba because I couldn't find a dealer in Ontario (now one in Stouffville Ontario) and had no problem following the manual. In my opinion, you get a lot of machine for your money when you buy a Juki. I have two of them because I like the bigger throat space on the TL98Q and it is a heavy, powerful machine that FM quilts beautifully. The Exceed is great for piecing and lots of fancy stitches.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:08 PM

I'm going to strongly suggest you take a look at the Janome 8200. I just bought it after saving up for it --my dream machine. My dealer actually prefers it over the 8900 because there's no jog dial that you have to turn . With the 8200 it's just two buttons to get your desired stitch--mode and stitch # Easy peasy. And it's a-MAY-zing for FMQ. Smooth, quiet, wow. And the thread cutter--oh my, how did I ever live without one? LOL

It's got the knee lift, a ton of stitches,easy to c hange feet, bobbin winder w/o unthreading the machine. NO tension issues (but then again, it's brand new, but very few tension issues reported compared to other brands. Best part is that 11" inch harp space, though. Be still my heart .No wrangling and wrestling. Oh, and the machine is so quiet AND it never eats my little pieces on the upstart. Great lighting.

As for the price, normally the 8200 runs around $1999. I called my dealer a few days before my birthday (big 5-0) and asked what she could do. She called Janome and asked if they had any repacks (maybe used at a quilt show or something). Snagged that puppy for just $1399. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it. The 8900 looks like a great machine too (I test drove it ) but too much machine for me and not worth the extra $2500. And I didn't like that jog dial as it added steps and wasn't the easiest to read. The Janome 8200 is very easy on these not-so-young eyes.

I'd ask if they have one in stock to try. It's a fantastic machine. Makes beautiful stitches.

The
Old 09-28-2015, 08:28 PM
Power Poster

if you love the Janome, then go with it. Janome users are a loyal bunch. I'm a Baby Lock girl myself and equally as loyal to that brand so I understand.

When I bought machines from the dealer, I looked at MSRP and dialed it down by at least 30%. Having a machine for sewing with fancy stitches and the works is nice. Having a machine just for quilting is nice. Having both is AWESOME. However, I find that I expect some of the same features on both machines, like a large throat space, great lighting, motor speed control, needle position control, built-in scissors, feed-dog drop option, and the list goes on.

It's exciting getting a new machine and I wish you much luck and fun. Don't pay dealer prices - NEGOTIATE!
Old 09-28-2015, 10:03 PM

I had an old Janome which I loved, but when I got the chance to treat myself, I got the Juki FZL 600, which is the machine I use for piecing and quilting it also has a load of decorative stitches and I think it's amazing. I also bought a Husqvarna Ruby Royale which I'm still getting used to. If you don't need the bells and whistles on the 8900 which are different to the Juki, get the Juki. It does have start stop, needle down, automatic cutter, knee lifter as well as I think it's 260 stitches, I have no criticism of this machine. I've also seen silk jersey to make a couple of tops and pants and it stitched beautifully on a difficult fabric to work with.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:07 PM

Ps I've sewn sheers, silks, jerseys, denims and quilts on Juki and not needed to touch tension at all.