Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Survey, Block Magazine >

Survey, Block Magazine

Survey, Block Magazine

Old 10-02-2015, 05:51 AM

I like Block. As far as advertising goes the entire magazine is a promotion for MSQC. It is their outreach to coordinate with their other promotion activities such as website, tutorials, e-mails and such. For each pattern there is a link to the tutorial. The fabrics recommended are from their business as well. I'm not saying this is a bad thing but the reality is they want you to go to their store, website and ultimately buy things.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:58 AM

I bought the first couple issues but it didn't grab me so I didn't subscribe. I watch a lot of her videos (she's so fun to watch!) so I felt like I wasn't seeing anything really new in the 'zine. And errors bother me, even though I usually don't follow the instructions and just use the quilt as inspiration for my own version. (Gotta love EQ7!)
Old 10-02-2015, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

I'm trying to rid myself of magazines. The only ones I get in the mail and have even gone digital with some of them pertain to my business career. The other magazines, I glance through at the stores and with the prices usually leave them at the stands. As far as MSQC. they have so many videos and I can go to the website to place an order for a pattern or daily deal. I've been keeping track of the money saved by not purchasing magazines this year and have saved about $500.00 by not buying subscriptions.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I like Block. As far as advertising goes the entire magazine is a promotion for MSQC. It is their outreach to coordinate with their other promotion activities such as website, tutorials, e-mails and such. For each pattern there is a link to the tutorial. The fabrics recommended are from their business as well. I'm not saying this is a bad thing but the reality is they want you to go to their store, website and ultimately buy things.

Yes. In a sense you are paying for their marketing. But I agree; that's not necessarily a bad thing. I discontinued my subscription, too, but mainly because I just can't accumulate any more publications I'm tempted to keep! Too many books, too little room! Also, their format is somehow disconcerting, probably because it's not the usual magazine "look" (not enough white space). But on the whole I think it's a good publication for the quiltmaking community.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:25 AM

Corrections??? Hmmm I didn't know there were corrections, maybe that's why I'm having trouble?? I still love the magazine and free videos!!
Kat
Old 10-02-2015, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
This is the only magazine I subscribe to. The only downside to it is having to look up the corrections for every issue. I print them out and stick the page into the magazine.

Cari
Good idea. I didn't know where to go to look up the corrections, but found it from another post on the prior page. (Thanks!) Now I'll go and check to see if there corrections to the quilt top I have almost completed, ha!

Last edited by ShirlR; 10-02-2015 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Content corrected.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:56 AM

I had to cancel my subscription to Block due to financial reasons but did order three back issues for my DIL and she's in love with the magazine. It truly is more of a book then a magazine, very well done.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:19 PM

Block is the only magazine subscription I have ever had. I love the stories. Love the format that looks nothing like a magazine. It's like getting a small book for $6. If I had to pay for the entire year up front, I'd probably be less likely to subscribe, but you are only committing to $6 at a time. Most of the quilts are too simple for my taste, but it is fun to do quick and easy projects every now and then. I also like AP&Q magazine, but am happy to pick them up at thrift stores for 50 cents.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:35 PM

I love Block Magazine! I am very new to quilting and most patterns look easy and they have the tutorials on their site to watch. I could see if you were a moderate or advanced quilter it might not be so appealing!
Old 10-02-2015, 02:44 PM

I love it, not all the patterns are for me but enough are, just don't have time for them all but love reading it!