Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with corners on binding >

Help with corners on binding

Help with corners on binding

Old 09-29-2015, 01:04 PM

Default Help with corners on binding

Hello all. I am hoping someone could assist me. I have attached a photo of two of four corners on a quilt I recently finished. As the photo shows, one corner came out perfectly and the other corner did not. No matter what I did - trimmed the seam allowances, took out some stitches, folded and refolded - I could not get it to form into a neat miter corner. Has anyone had this happen? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails binding-corners.jpg  
Old 09-29-2015, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

I could be wrong, but it looks like you have way too much fabric at the corner. This could happen if you don't fold the corner over just right when sewing to the front. When that happens there's nothing you can do to make it right, other than un-sew the binding from that section of the front and re-do it. It would probably mean putting in another piece, since you would need to cut the binding on one side and re-join so you don't have extra fabric.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

Uh - no - I've had other creative things happen, but not that particular one.

It looks like there is too much fabric in that lower one. The only thing I can think of to fix it - if you want to - is to take out ALL the binding stitching about six inches on one side of the corner and about 12 inches on the other side (including that corner) - and redo that part of the binding. I am guessing that you will end up with about 1/2 inch of extra fabric that will need to be taken up in a seam in the binding.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

I agree with the too much fabric diagnosis. When you attach the binding and get to the corner, you make a 45 degree fold and then fold a 90 degree back onto itself. When you make this last fold, you have to make sure the fold doesn't extend past the edge of the quilt. It needs to line up exactly on the edge. If you go over the edge, you wind up with too much fabric to make a nice miter. If your fold is short, you won't have enough fabric to make the miter. As mentioned above, you would need to take quite a bit of the binding off to fix it, but it's not that bad.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:54 PM

I agree, looks like too much binding there. I wonder if you somehow made the corner folds wrong when you sewed the binding on that corner. I don't know what else you can do but remove that part of the binding, check to be sure that corner of the quilt has been trimmed to an accurate 90 degree angle and sew the binding back on, splicing the binding as needed.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:21 PM

Yes, I had the (slightly) opposite problem on the binding that I am currently sewing down. I think I folded the fabric just a hair short. Had to really fight with it to make a nice corner and it is not as nice as the others but since this one is going on my bed, I am not going to fret about it. Yours is fixable--that is the good news.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

That corner is referred to by the term " bird's beak" and it is caused by too much fabric in the corner. I like the binding tutorials at http://ankastreasures.wordpress.com
Old 09-29-2015, 03:35 PM

When you fold the binding at the corner, make sure the fold is even with the edge you just sewed and the binding edge is even with the quilt edge of the next side. Hope that makes sense.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:45 PM

You can't beat these two women when it comes to great quilting - check this out!!!
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...t=mozilla&tt=b
Old 09-30-2015, 03:45 AM

I have a friend that rounds all corners and then didn't ever have that problem. She uses a cup as a guide.