Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with corners on binding >

Help with corners on binding

Help with corners on binding

Old 09-30-2015, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
I have a friend that rounds all corners and then didn't ever have that problem. She uses a cup as a guide.
Does she use bias binding?
Old 09-30-2015, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I don't know if it is online but Patrick Lose has been on F&P. He has an interesting way of doing the binding when dealing with the corner. I will try my best to explain. When you come to the 1/4" at the edge of the quilt, you sew 45 degrees off into the corner of the quilt. Cut your thread and then as you fold back the binding to line up to continue to see the next edge of your quilt, the binding should be in perfect alignment. I also figured out a trick, always make sure that the back fold of the binding excess is going the opposite direction as the front is. This is 1.75" double folded binding on this mug rug. There is a video list on Google:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Patr...inding+corners
Attached Thumbnails hoff-pansy.jpg  
Old 09-30-2015, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

I have started rounding quilt corners and I like it much better then square ones, no hassle of miters. I use bias binding.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:46 AM

This was a great site. Thanks Tartan.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:57 AM

I saw a trick on Fons and Porter (I believe). In any event, when you are sewing the binding on the front, make sure you are 1/4 inch away from the edge of the quilt. The binding is then placed away from you making an L, and the trick is to take a small straight edge and put in in line with the edge of the quilt before folding it back down towards you. Remove the straight edge before continuing to sew. It works for me, and it is easy to master.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:00 AM

It's important to remember when doing a corner to stop sewing at the same distance as your seam allowance. If you are using 1/4" seams then you stop sewing 1/4" from the edge of the corner. I usually use a 3/8" seam allowance when sewing on binding because that is the width of my walking foot. In my case I stop 3/8" from the edge. If I stop 1/4" it won't fold correctly. If you use 1/2" seam allowance you stop 1/2" from the edge.
If you have trouble getting the correct angle. after you stitch to the proper distance from the corner take the quilt and lay it on a flat surface. Lay a ruler along the right edge of the quilt and fold your binding up to lay straight against the ruler. This will give you a perfect angle. Once you have that then fold the binding down against the ruler with the folded edge against the top of the quilt. This technique also works for corners other than 90 degree with a 45 degree angle.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:00 AM

Yes, I have that problem with almost every quilt I make. And I stop/start, fold all of the corners the same. Think I will start rounding corners. Ugh! ! ! ! don't need this kind of hassle.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:37 AM

Oh, that happens to me all the time. I just have to keep working at it until I get it right. Usually it happens because the corner of the quilting fabric is not square.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:44 AM

Dang! never thought of that.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:52 AM
Z

Check out Sharon Schamber's Binding the Angel (3 parts) on You tube for using Elmer's Glue to bind.