Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Marking tools  ?? >
  • Marking tools ??

• Marking tools ??

Old 04-11-2016, 10:30 AM

I love my Sewline marker and can always find a color that works with whatever needs marking.
    Old 04-11-2016, 02:07 PM

I use Bohin pencil on dark fabrics. I really like the fine point and the lines disappear with a little friction and for the most part are under the stitching.
    For lighter fabrics I like either the blue water erasable pens or the purple air erasable pens. With the purple air erasable you have to work quite quickly as the marks do disappear but I've never found it necessary to mark more than I could get done in that length of time.
    As for Frixion pens I use them in my sewing room to write notes. I like the fact that if I accidentally get a mark on the fabric I know that I can get it out.
    I wash all my quilts so any residue left by any of the markers is taken out in the wash. I believe that Frixion comes out in the wash and will not come back by cold temperatures. If you apply to heat to Frixion mark it will come back with cold temperatures. I have had some shadows left on fabric when I tested the Frixion pens, especially with the red pen or red fabric. Almost like it bleached the fabric. For the blue water erasable markers they will come out with a spritz of water but some may come back when the fabric dries. To really get them out washing is preferable.