Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilted Pot Holders >
  • Quilted Pot Holders

• Quilted Pot Holders

Old 06-19-2016, 12:27 PM
    mac

Oh, I just thought I would add that I zig-zag scraps of cotton batting, such as Warm and Natural, together to make pot holder size pieces.

I really hate to see all of the cotton batting that you cut off when layering a quilt go into the waste basket. Many times there are strips of batting large enough for an 8 or 9" potholder. If not, I just rotary cut two different pieces, butt them up against each other and use a large zig-zag stitch on them, using cotton thread. If you keep your foot (preferably a walking foot, but not necessary) centered on the two pieces you get the perfect stitch to hold pieces together flat.

When making a pot holder, I use two layers of cotton batting and I make sure that I cross the pieces when I layer them. One zig zag batting layer goes up and down and the other zig zag batting goes from side to side, to insure that they as strong as a solid piece of batting when put together.

I will often use this method when I am making small wall hangings, instead of buying more batting for just that project. As they say, waste not, want not.
    Old 06-20-2016, 04:19 AM
    Power Poster

I bought several packages (1 yard) of Insulbrite at Wal Mart a few years ago. Don't know if they still sell it. I use it a lot. I use Insulbrite and two layers of batting.
    Old 06-23-2016, 08:22 AM

Very good idea. Thanks
    Old 06-23-2016, 08:37 PM

The best potholders I ever made were for using with our woodstoves. For the batting I used old woolen sweaters that I washed to felt them, then cut out squares to size. They are puffy enough and stable enough to just lay pieces of fabric on both sides and quilt as you go, crazy quilt style. Wool does not sustain a flame so even where hot cinders landed there were little holes in the outer cotton, but the potholder maintained its thickness and insulating property.
    Old 07-26-2016, 08:23 AM

such nice ideas and tips, thank you, i love to make potholders, they are easy and fun and make great gifts
    Old 07-27-2016, 11:21 PM

I sure wish I had been a member here and asked for advice before I made my first potholders. I had put 2 layers of batting inside, but that's not nearly as good a heat protector as are types like insulbrite.

I like to do a pocket on the front. You can put your hand in like a glove, or put a recipe in it before you wrap it up to give as a gift. If it's to be a gift, I always select the fabric to appeal to the receiver, and the pocket can either be the primary print or an accent.