Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
suggestions needed to finish up quilt >

suggestions needed to finish up quilt

suggestions needed to finish up quilt

Old 10-30-2016, 03:34 AM

The snowmen are adorable and the current sashing is a bit busy. I loved bkay's idea of a black with white dot or a tiny black and white check. I am enthralled with Bree's ability to add the extra colors: the flange looks great, as does the polka dot white and gray fabric. The red border with black and white binding looks fantastic. I'm not sure that the (2 inch?) current sashing would end up showing very well if it were cut in half. I calculate that it would end up being about ¾ of an inch finished. I also agree with QuiltE that there may be issues with the original donor if she were absolutely devoted to the fabric. Is there a way that you can find out how strongly she feels about it? If she's amenable to change, you could still use the current sashes on the back with maybe a fence row pattern with the red and white that Bree showed. That may be more work than you had planned, but it would cut own the amount of backing fabric that you'd need.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I like the snowmen fabric. When I look at the blocks, the embroidered snowmen in them look like they are looking at the fabric and laughing. It's very cheery. I would just add some borders, especially a red one and just finish the quilt. Any child will love it.
Pick this option! Just flange ore narrow border the embroidered blocks with red, redo the sashing and bind it in solid black/blue whatever colour the main of the print is. I also think the snowmen in the blocks are giggling at the print.

Too often we look at a quilt top as if it were "ours" - that there is a "proper" way to set up a quilt BUT there is also a great deal to be said about being "eclectic"!

Last edited by SuzzyQ; 10-30-2016 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:33 AM

I like the present sashing for this piece and it helps that you've already got it! I'd opt for a red corner stone though and maybe a skinny first border all around--or the red cornerstones and bind as is with the same red. I think it will tame the tumblers a bit. Interesting that there are 4 alike. I'd put those 4 in the corners
Old 10-30-2016, 04:33 AM

I really like the suggestion made by Bree123. The red piping or flange really adds a spark. I also felt that the original sashing was too compepitive and overpowering. The smaller sashing is much better. and the red in the border is nice. The focal point is the embroidered blocks and every other element needs to compliment them. Keep up the great work to finish this quilt-it is worth the effort.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:03 AM

Absolutely darling! Nice job with what some might call a difficult task. Thanks for sharing.
Karen
Old 10-30-2016, 05:23 AM

I'm in agreement that the sashing is too busy. What would happen if you removed it and used a solid blue or red and made the corner stones out of what is now the sashing (snowman material). Maybe there will be enough snowman material to use as the binding also. Show pictures when finished please.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:17 AM

I agree with the other comments; the sashing is too busy. I'd use a solid to show off the delightful embroidery.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
Just my opinion--I think the sashing is too busy. I think it takes too much attention away from the delightful embroidered blocks. Others may think differently and that is okay. I am anxious to see other opinions. I love the embroidered blocks.
My first reaction, too. I'd sash it with something calmer and lighter in color, or maybe a solid red or blue. Then a narrow white border and a wider border out of a different print or maybe the same as the sashing.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:02 PM

I agree with sashing being too busy, I would use a smaller print or solid color red, green, yellow, blue , or if you could find a blue fabric with the tiny snowflakes , that would be great. Post the finished quilt so we can enjoy.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:00 AM

Love the way Bree's suggestion looks. Too much "thinking" will just drive you crazzzy. Finish it up and any child (I would enjoy it also) will love it.