• Main
  • Cathedral Windows - questions about methods >
  • Cathedral Windows - questions about methods

• Cathedral Windows - questions about methods

Old 01-12-2017, 01:02 PM

Prism99 ... here's the linlk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPforn3KOOs

it's called faux cathedral windows ...
    Old 01-12-2017, 01:45 PM

So, it's all done ... and I even figured out how to finish it (amazingly, I couldn't find anything on line on how to finish it off) ... I just flipped the triangles up and sewed up and down the quilt ... assuming that's right ... if there's another way, someone let me know!!!!

While I am happy enough with the results - the points all line up, it's all even, back looks good, I'm not a fan of the "rough" edges around the squares that I use to make the windows.

I will definitely use the other method the next time - where I iron down a 1/4 inch seam so I don't have that messy fabric at the corners.

All in all, it's not too bad!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565509[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails img_1327.jpg  
    Old 01-12-2017, 03:57 PM

So, I just tried Eddie's method, and while there are more annoying steps (LOL, what I consider fussy work), the points line up almost perfectly (I think my fabric is too thin because it's wrinkling ... or my iron is too hot), but here's what I've accomplished in the last two hours

I added an extra step that wasn't in Eddie's posts - I sewed a straight line down each of the "squares" to keep them down so that when I made the windows it was easier to fold them over

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565514[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails img_1329.jpg  
    Old 01-12-2017, 08:05 PM

MarionsQuilts,

Thank you for trying various ways of making a CW quilt and reporting your results. It's very helpful!

But I am confused by your latest post where you say: I added an extra step that wasn't in Eddie's posts - I sewed a straight line down each of the "squares" to keep them down so that when I made the windows it was easier to fold them over

To which squares are you referring? Presumably not your purple squares? I would very much appreciate clarification!

FWIW, I made one CW quilt several years ago (when I had just begun making quilts), following Eddie's instructions. As I was putting it together, I was dismayed by all my imperfect sewing and swore never to make another. As it was a gift, I didn't see it again for several years. But when I saw it last summer, I was amazed by how lovely it was! Suddenly I didn't see all the terrible sewing, pinched seams, etc. As a result, I'm now eager to make another.

But I'd love to learn from my mistakes and your wisdom
    Old 01-13-2017, 03:13 AM

Sushi,

If you look at my pic above you will see the pink square beside the purple one. The square where you would put the purple one! Before I put the purple on one, I sewed the "triangles" that I joined at the crease from tip to tip. You see two "lines" on the square - one of them is the seam in the middle where they were joined, the other is the the seam I sewed to keep them in place ...

does this help? If not, let me know and I'll take pics tonight!
    Old 01-13-2017, 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=MarionsQuilts;7739916

If you look at my pic above you will see the pink square beside the purple one. The square where you would put the purple one! Before I put the purple on one, I sewed the "triangles" that I joined at the crease from tip to tip. You see two "lines" on the square - one of them is the seam in the middle where they were joined, the other is the the seam I sewed to keep them in place ...

does this help? If not, let me know and I'll take pics tonight![/QUOTE],

Thanks for this explanation. If I'm understanding correctly, these will show up as straight lines on the back (that wouldn't otherwise appear). Is that right? If so, do they look OK on the back?
    Old 01-13-2017, 01:44 PM

Sushi,

Here are some more pics, with some more explanations

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565577[/ATTACH]

Pic (above) this has a bunch of squares that are made up of half triangles - the ones that are popping up.

I sew a seam from the tip of one triangle to the other to hold it all in place

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565578[/ATTACH]

I have put the edge of the ruler against it to show you where I would sew

When you are sewing lengthwise, it is one continuous seam!

And lesson learned - I would actually join all the squares together and then sew all the seams to hold the triangles down!

The back looks like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565579[/ATTACH]

The cross in the middle of the circle (where the purple fabric is on the front) is made up of a seam that is pressed and the seam I just made sewing the tips of the triangles down

Does this make sense to you?

Marion
    Attached Thumbnails img_1331.jpg   img_1332.jpg   img_1334.jpg  
    Old 01-13-2017, 02:57 PM

Perfect sense, Marion. Thank you soooooo much for going to all the trouble to explain and show!

You're the best!
    Old 01-13-2017, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by sushi
    Perfect sense, Marion. Thank you soooooo much for going to all the trouble to explain and show!

You're the best!
    Sushi - you are so welcome!!!! Glad I was able to help! I've had so much help from so many people on here, so it's certainly nice to be able to pass on some knowledge and experience!!!

Another thing I've noticed - if you only want two colours, then use Eddie's method (or the faux cathedral) ... but it you want the squares in the background to be one colour, and the "windows" to be another colour, and then the squares in the middle to be a different colour (so three colours LOL), then you would use the first method I did - with the four squares, and the squares folded in half to make triangles - a lot more work, and you must be able to line up your points perfectly because you're on your own for those!!!!! BUT, the colours can be striking - here's an example

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565585[/ATTACH]

As you can see, when you look closely, my points don't line up LOL
    Attached Thumbnails img_1325.jpg  
    Old 01-13-2017, 06:31 PM

I think your quilt is gorgeous - and I'd be thrilled to have points that line up as well as yours do! (By the way, I noticed that Jenny's (at MSQ) don't line up perfectly, either :-)

Thanks again!

Sue