Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Any Hand quilters left? >
  • Any Hand quilters left?

• Any Hand quilters left?

Old 09-20-2017, 01:19 PM

I love to but need to piece something quick so I can get back to it. Faintly, love your bright Quilt and big stitches. NZ, with a new baby, you can certainly put hand quilting on the back burner...
    And an invitation to join a group! That's great!
    What kind of thread do you all prefer to use?
    Old 09-20-2017, 02:55 PM

BIG!! Perle cotton #8 or #12 or crochet thread in 20 or 30 weight.
    Old 09-20-2017, 03:06 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic
    Sneak preview of current project. Twin size, no pattern, every "block" is getting a different treatment. Fast! (please excuse the markings...they will be washed out when this is finished!)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]580905[/ATTACH]
    I love that!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!!
    Old 09-20-2017, 03:09 PM
    Power Poster

I use a good quilting thread. I can't off hand recall the make. But I won't go cheap for something like that.
    Old 09-20-2017, 03:16 PM
    Power Poster

​I don't hand quilt a quilt anymore but will do an occasional some project.
    Old 09-20-2017, 03:22 PM

Yes, these days I stick with hand quilting with added hand embroidery. I originally learned piecing and quilting by machine but I never enjoyed the process, only the results. It took getting into knitting and hand embroidery to realize my love is handwork. I still machine quilt utility quilts (basic grid only, with walking foot) and I do still machine piece although I've started hand piecing too (although I admit long seams are easier on the machine). I'd rather stitch curled up on the couch

I quilt without a hoop or thimble. Jacquie Harvey's tutorials are terrific for quilting without a thimble and Sharon Schamber's basting tutorial is invaluable for hoopless quilting.

I miss seeing hand quilting at shows. There are a few entered here and there, but not many. I do love seeing machine quilting, it's gloriously beautiful, but I miss seeing hand quilting too.

Last edited by magicmoonmusings; 09-20-2017 at 03:24 PM.
    Old 09-20-2017, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic
    Sneak preview of current project. Twin size, no pattern, every "block" is getting a different treatment. Fast! (please excuse the markings...they will be washed out when this is finished!)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]580905[/ATTACH]

Beautiful! Very effective
    Old 09-20-2017, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
    What kind of thread do you all prefer to use?

For big stitch I use perle cotton (either 8 or 12, depends on the project). The only specific 'hand quilting' thread I've tried is Gutermann's. I'd like to try Superior's next.
    Old 09-20-2017, 06:55 PM

I, too, hand quilt - so far, exclusively. I do regular hand quilting and have also done 'big stitch' hand quilting. My 'big stitch' isn't so 'big', though, lol. I haven't gotten the hang of adjusting my needle movement larger.

I am interested in ruler quilting on a DSM though. I have a number of tops that I'm not either particularly invested in, or have so many seams (NYB) that hand quilting would be more than a challenge. I usually make all my sibs and the in-laws anniversary quilts; have a few graduation as well as baby quilts under my belt.

My interest in quilting was spurred by a friend who hand pieced and hand quilted. She didn't think she could manage using a machine to piece. She has since mastered that portion. I felt that machine piecing and hand quilting was the perfect (for me) marriage of machine sewing and hand work. It's been a joy for me.

And I do use a thimble - a 'thimblelady' open end thimble that has been the greatest thimble I've ever used.
    Old 09-21-2017, 02:11 AM

Yes, but not much. I've been hand quilting the same wallhanging (41" square) for two years but am almost done. I work on it for a while, set it aside, get it back out, etc. I love the way it looks, though. I also use hand quilting for accents on various machine quilted items. I use a metal thimble and no hoop or anything. But I do prefer to save my wrists for hand applique.