Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rotary Blade >
  • Rotary Blade

• Rotary Blade

Old 10-14-2017, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH
    Yes, I do and it's ridiculous b/c I have a lot of blades collecting dust! I can be soooo cheap
    Me too. I have made more than my share of Lincolns scream. Lol.
    Old 10-14-2017, 11:58 AM

I am also bad about changing blades but am trying to be better about it. I don't change at the start of each new project like some recommend because not all projects involve the same amount of cutting. And it seems that within seconds of changing a blade it starts skipping. I have invested in an electric blade sharpener but haven't used it yet - need to try it.
    The one time I do change blades religiously is before I go to classes at Houston Quilt Festival and I even carry a spare blade. One year I kept the same blade the entire year in between but that was the year I fell and broke my arm, had to have surgery, and then several months of therapy. I used my AccuQuilt Go a lot that year.
    Old 10-14-2017, 01:56 PM

This is a real good topic of rotary blades and how long they last. Someone just gave me a little rotary cutter sharpener and I haven't used it yet. Like most I hate blades that start skipping . I've had them skip when I hit a ruler by mistake and tossed them out. I try to buy them on sale. But I have to get that sharpener out and try it as I hate to buy more blades. When I do buy them they have to be on sale. They sure beat making sandpaper or plastic templates.
    Old 10-14-2017, 03:02 PM

I just want to know what brand you use that gives you so much cutting life.
    Old 10-14-2017, 03:15 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun

I attended a demonstration by a Clover rep about sewing notions. One of the things he said about needles stuck with me. "With the cost of machines these days, why risk damaging it with an old needle? Consider the cost of servicing or replacing the machine against the cost of a new needle." I know he represents the company selling needles but I think that makes sense. I'm changing needles a lot more often now, especially on my sit down longarm. I've been buying needles in bulk to cut costs.
    Exactly. This is the biggest reason I won't use the titanium needles in my newer machines, especially my embroidery machines. These machines have plastic drop in bobbin cases. When a titanium needle breaks it shatters and can destroy a bobbin case or cause even worse damage. They were originally designed for high speed commercial machines like embroidery machines that have steel bobbin cases that are outside of the machine body, unlike the bobbin cases of modern home machines. I would much rather change a regular needle at around 10 cents than change a bobbin case at $30 or more. I also buy needles in bulk.

Cari
    Old 10-14-2017, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly
    When a titanium needle breaks it shatters and can destroy a bobbin case or cause even worse damage. They were originally designed for high speed commercial machines like embroidery machines that have steel bobbin cases that are outside of the machine body, unlike the bobbin cases of modern home machines.
    Cari
    I didn't know that. I have a package of titanium needles but will save them for my vintage machines that have metal bobbin cases. Thanks for the info.
    Old 10-15-2017, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    I didn't know that. I have a package of titanium needles but will save them for my vintage machines that have metal bobbin cases. Thanks for the info.
    All my bobbin cases are metal. ! ! ? ?
    Old 10-15-2017, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by RuthiesRetreat3
    I just want to know what brand you use that gives you so much cutting life.
    Mine are Olfa. The year I bought them was the year of the orange pillow cases, so I could really figure out when that was if I had a mind to do that.
    Old 10-15-2017, 05:31 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I change blades at the first skip. If the blade doesn't cut like brand new why would I want to use it?
    You're so right. When I replace a blade I always say to myself "What took you so long?" Silly to hang on to a dull blade!
    Old 10-15-2017, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw
    All my bobbin cases are metal. ! ! ? ?
    My Viking has a built-in front loading bobbin case and its plastic. My featherweight, 15 clone and 301 have side loading bobbins with removable metal bobbin cases.

Last edited by quiltsRfun; 10-15-2017 at 06:16 AM.