Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help, new quilter sewing machine suggestions >
  • Help, new quilter sewing machine suggestions

• Help, new quilter sewing machine suggestions

Old 02-01-2019, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond
    In that price range, the Eversewn machines are a solid choice.
    Just got my Sparrow 30 yesterday and am in love with it. I have sewn 6 baby burp cloths and am ready to sew 3 bibs and a receiving blanket today. It is so easy to use and has very nice features as those costing a LOT more than the $400 price tag.
    My Sparrow is replacing a bought new, former top of the line Pfaff 7570, $$$$, the Sparrow has most of the same features at the expensive Pfaff.
    Old 02-01-2019, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    I would look at straight stitch brother pq1500s
    Yes, you need heavy duty machine like this. The less expensive machines mentioned in other posts are very good but you need something heavier.
    Old 02-01-2019, 07:47 AM

Thanks so much to all of you. It's been dizzying trying to look up machines, checking prices, comparing features and all. Appreciate all of your input. I'm thinking I'll start with an inexpensive machine from Walmart, and then save up for something like a Brother 1500SL ( good price of $539). I'm jealous of so many of you with so many machines, and here I'm trying to decide on one. But, now I've decided to get 2, since I'll use each for different jobs.

i have looked at older machines, and all, but concern about future problems. I also was seriously considering the Eversewn Sparrow 30 several mentioned, but being pink and all not sure if grandsons would want to sew on it, ha ha. But truly believe that getting something like the 1500SL in a few months will serve me well. So I'll do my piece work on the new cheaper machine and quilt them down the road.

Thanks again for for everyone's suggestions. I'll be busy in the coming weeks for sure.
    Old 02-01-2019, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Thumbelina
    Hi Susie and welcome from NE Ohio. For that price you can get a pretty good brother at W al-Mart. I started with a brother before trading up to a Janome 8900 and had no regrets. What part of Maine are you in? I was born and grew up in Biddeford .
    Hi, I live in Palermo between Augusta and Belfast, probably 2 hrs north of Biddeford. I grew up in the suburbs of Detrot, but have lived here for 34 years. My late grandma lived in Ashtabula, and my Uncle still lives there. Many summer trips to visit them back in the day.

Thanks for for your help, as you can see I went with your suggestion, and saving up for a more expensive machine that others have recommended. Thanks again, Susie
    Old 02-01-2019, 08:09 AM
    Power Poster

One with an auto thread cutter will save you money. In your price range the Eversewn 30 would be the best choice.
    Old 02-01-2019, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Maine
    Thanks so much to all of you. It's been dizzying trying to look up machines, checking prices, comparing features and all. Appreciate all of your input. I'm thinking I'll start with an inexpensive machine from Walmart, and then save up for something like a Brother 1500SL ( good price of $539). I'm jealous of so many of you with so many machines, and here I'm trying to decide on one. But, now I've decided to get 2, since I'll use each for different jobs.

i have looked at older machines, and all, but concern about future problems. I also was seriously considering the Eversewn Sparrow 30 several mentioned, but being pink and all not sure if grandsons would want to sew on it, ha ha. But truly believe that getting something like the 1500SL in a few months will serve me well. So I'll do my piece work on the new cheaper machine and quilt them down the road.

Thanks again for for everyone's suggestions. I'll be busy in the coming weeks for sure.
    I just looked at my machine and it is not pink--it is not white either but I would not consider it as being pink.
    Did more sewing again today and the machine is such a treat to work with. Cutting the thread is the best feature to have.