Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help, new quilter sewing machine suggestions >

Help, new quilter sewing machine suggestions

Help, new quilter sewing machine suggestions

Old 01-30-2019, 10:03 AM

Question Help, new quilter sewing machine suggestions

Hi Everyone, I've been reading this board for more than week and have learned a lot. Thanks!

I would appreciate any help in picking out a decent sewing machine for quilting. My price range is $200-$500 probably, but a little flexible. I know how to sew, have sewn a patchwork quilt top years ago, but now need a machine. I'm semi computer literate, so I know there are some of those. I'm pretty sure I want one with more than straight stitching,

i have read read older post regarding sewing machines, and the more I research the more confused I've become. Some of the machines are no longer available because of the older posts.

Im planning on sewing some weighted blankets for my special needs grandsons. I was going to order them, but decided to make them myself. After shopping for fabric I went a bit crazy and have lots and lots. So now I want to make some quilts with all of these fabrics too. I'm sure it would have been much cheaper to just buy those blankets, especially since I'm buying a sewing machine, material, and pellets for their new blankets. But, I have to admit I'm getting excited about sewing again, creating things and all. It's been a long time.

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Susie
Old 01-30-2019, 10:09 AM

In that price range, the Eversewn machines are a solid choice.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:10 AM

Eversewn or Janome have very good machines in your price range.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:25 AM

Go with what can be serviced in your area. Test all in your area before deciding. When you go into a dealer, don't be overwhelmed with the hundreds of stitches available for each machine. Really a good basic machine is available in almost any brand. They try to upsale with embroidery stitches, yadda, yadda, yadda. Some dealers almost refuse to show the lower priced machines. I personally like Juki and Janome.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:40 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Brother CS6000i or Eversewn. I have both. Nice little machines. Even if you later decide you want a bigger machine to do machine embroidery, it will be a great piecing machine. For quite a while, I had an inexpensive New Home (now Janome). Liked that machine, too.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:55 PM

Go try them out, many choices. make sure you have a dealer who will service your machine should you need it. I have three janomes and an Elna but there are many good basic sewing machines in the range of price you are wanting. Good Luck
Old 01-30-2019, 01:23 PM

Hi Susie and welcome from NE Ohio. For that price you can get a pretty good brother at W al-Mart. I started with a brother before trading up to a Janome 8900 and had no regrets. What part of Maine are you in? I was born and grew up in Biddeford .
Old 01-30-2019, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to this board.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:29 PM

I would look at straight stitch brother pq1500s
Old 01-30-2019, 04:35 PM

I bought an Eversewn Sparrow 30. It's a solid machine and has many features that the more expensive machines have. Try it out...see if it's a good fit for your needs. It also travels easily to classes. But the choice of a machine is pretty individual. Let us know what you find. :-)