Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Another stupid question: What's quilting thread? >
  • Another stupid question: What's quilting thread?

• Another stupid question: What's quilting thread?

Old 04-26-2019, 03:30 AM

I've been hand quilting long enough that I'm comfortable thinking that I've never had a problem with thread breaking with use. Once in awhile I've used regular sewing thread with no problem. Perhaps the "secret" is in the tension that's being put on the thread while quilting. It should be a bit snug but not tight. I don't knot at the end of the thread either. Just backstitch and run the rest between the layers for about the length of the needle and cut the tail as the needle comes back up. If it's wrong, it seems to work for me!
    Old 04-26-2019, 04:09 AM

I've always used YLI hand quilting thread. There is a hugh difference in it vs. cotton piecing thread.

https://ylicorp.com/products/hand-qu...nt=35460110798
    Old 04-26-2019, 07:49 AM

First (and I think most important) the only stupid question is the one not asked. We all learn from any questions asked. There is 'special' thread designed for hand quilting. It will be marked as 'HAND QUILTING'. As a safety point, I always put a quick knot every foot or so. I have had a whole line unravel and I was not happy. I would rather not be totally correct than have that happen again. Reminder - it is your quilt, you are making it and you get to make the rules!
    Old 04-26-2019, 08:36 AM

Thanks for that link! They have lots of nice colors!

Originally Posted by JENNR8R
    I've always used YLI hand quilting thread. There is a hugh difference in it vs. cotton piecing thread.

https://ylicorp.com/products/hand-qu...nt=35460110798
    Old 04-26-2019, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by SophieHatter
    That's a good idea! Is burying it tying it off? I'm gonna have to find some Youtube videos...
    Burying it is not the same thing as tying off. I usually make a quilter's knot, then gently tug the knot through the fabric so it sits in the batting.

You say this is a quilt you made when you were 10. I'm not going to presume what age you are now, but I will suggest that maybe you used cotton thread, and it's old and maybe has rotted? That is not uncommon with cotton thread. If you use polyester thread you won't have that problem.
    Old 04-29-2019, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Burying it is not the same thing as tying off. I usually make a quilter's knot, then gently tug the knot through the fabric so it sits in the batting.

You say this is a quilt you made when you were 10. I'm not going to presume what age you are now, but I will suggest that maybe you used cotton thread, and it's old and maybe has rotted? That is not uncommon with cotton thread. If you use polyester thread you won't have that problem.
    I'm pretty sure it was polyester thread! It was just one thickness of too-thin normal sewing thread pulled a bit tight and it caught on something, that's all. I can do better than that now by using thicker thread, getting the tension right, using smaller stitches and putting in a knot or a backstitch every now and then. Thanks everyone!
    Old 04-30-2019, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine
    Just never use a "hand quilting" thread in your sewing machine. You won't get a good stitch, and you may damage your hook.
    I was just about to mention that.