Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guild Programs >

Guild Programs

Guild Programs

Old 06-20-2021, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Moda is having a great community project called Love Bugs. It can be personal or group orientated. Really good for kids to learn to sew project. I will present the details for a program, pass out the pattern, and show examples. My grandson has already chosen his Love Bug. I am making them for the church nursery to give to the toddlers. The goal is to give children a bug they want to catch after a bad last year. The pocket is a great place to hold a coloring book or story book. So if a member can't make a bug then they may like to donate a book.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
fp_LoveBug.pdf (925.8 KB, 1239 views)

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-20-2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:29 PM

we had a raffle of orphan blocks and ufo's. tickets were .25. orphan blocks 1 ticket, take 1. ufo's were a drawing box for each item. got our ufo's moving to someone else. we had 3-4 days notice and ~$100 for guild. lots of fun. 3 people had mics and called numbers. runner for each mic took winner the goods. we thought it might be a lame idea. but as people arrived we kept adding tables for more raffle items. big hit!!!
Old 06-20-2021, 01:36 PM

See if you can find someone close enough that designs fabrics for any of the fabric companies. Our guild found a lady in the next state (within a couple of hours) that designs for Moda. I didn't think I'd be interested, but was very glad I attended. It was a massively successful program, and every single person I talked with after said they really enjoyed it. This lady doesn't sew, but Moda always gives her bolts of her fabric, which she was very happy to share with us at decent prices! :-) She had fat quarter bundles made up, as well as larger pieces to sell. I'll admit to going home with several fat quarter bundles of my own! :-) There's got to be a LOT of fabric designers in the country! I hope you're able to find one and have a great meeting!! :-))
Old 06-20-2021, 11:56 PM

Sew Days are immensely popular in my guild.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:47 AM

Default Painted Quilt blocks

A member of our guild is showing us how to make 4" painted quilt blocks on a magnet in July.

Another idea is to ask in your guild or local community who may be able to teach how to make the wooden barn quilt blocks.
I have seen smaller versions that would work to hang on a fence or wall in the house at about 12".
Old 06-21-2021, 03:50 AM

I just can’t believe the fun things all of you think up to do! There are so many great ideas here! Thank you, Onebyone for the Love Bug link! I’m thinking that would be a really fun service project for the dementia section of a nursing home!
Old 06-21-2021, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by mmunchkins View Post
Rhonda K, what are fabric cards?
This is the tutorial I followed. Pieces of fabrics with different themes were pre-cut and starched. The members had fun selecting one. I passed blank cards and envelopes and they shared the glue sticks around the table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT_STUBStqo

I started the program with a question. "How many of you love to receive a card in the mail"?
Old 06-21-2021, 09:01 AM

loved the card idea.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:36 AM

Your central issue is that members are uncomfortable with the Zoom experience. You may set up a Zoom buddy list for the guild so that a member that is comfortable with Zoom hosts another member.

This will all ease up when folk get immunized against COVID and it is safe to gather again.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I don't think zoom will be in the guild's future to host. Some members get together and take a zoom class on their own. I like zoom classes and video sew alongs.