Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Craft show ideas >

Craft show ideas

Craft show ideas

Old 10-26-2021, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

What sold the most at my guild's table at the craft show were handmade fabric ornaments. Especially the folded fabric balls, fabric stars, anything but the flat round or square ornaments . . We hung the ornaments from a small table top Christmas tree. Coasters and mug rugs did not sell. Bowl cozies sold but only the really nice ones. Some made cozies from mud colors, didn't sell but the ones made from bright vivid prints sold out. We had bowls of different sizes in our cozies. Another item that sold out was headbands made from stretchy rayon printed fabric. We made our booth bright and clean looking. White table coverings make a big difference. We didn't stack items on the table. Had a few out and boxes of extras under the table. All small items made the same, different colors were in nice baskets. All prices were in bold print and easy to see.. The backdrop was a bright white fabric covered folded screen with bright pennants strung across. The most important is to get the buyer's attention and then have fun bright items to sell. We gave the fabric tissue holder with some tissues in it as a thank you for each purchase. That was a big hit with the customers and they sent others to our booth. Selling is all in the marketing and presentation. A booth set up is very important.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

Don't forget the gifts for sewers. Like really cute pin cushions and sewing organizers. I would buy something like that.
I have bought the linen towels for the kitchen that have cute machine embroidery on them. After all, I know how much work those things take and the programs are expensive investment. Make sure you use good quality towels, that makes a difference to me knowing they will hold up to washing.
I have bought handmade ornaments and christmas themed sets of pot holders. Why not, those are fiddly work and fun to have and give at the holidays. How about cute aprons. I sold three of them for 50.00 each at a charity auction last year. And when I gifted my sister one, she said that was the nicest thing I ever gave her. Who knew?
Old 10-26-2021, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
......oh dear, just had a thought....if I get those plastic egg crates, will I just create even more plastic to get rid off?
The point of the crates and the quilted bags is to re-use them multiple times. Then the crates can be recycled when they wear out or break.
Plastic bags generally cannot be recycled easily. I live in a city, so have recycling pick up each week. They don't take plastic bags or cleaner's bags. You have to take them to the store and not all stores participate.

bkay
Old 10-26-2021, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

The plastic eggs crates I'm thinking of are the ones that look like bins? I have a lot of those and they have lasted for years. No need to have to get rid of them. In my area there is no recycling center, I'd have to drive over 45 miles to the nearest one and it is always closed.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:14 AM

I sold hundreds of boutique-size tissue box covers when I did shows. People were looking for either "themed" fabrics like dog breeds, cats, hobbies or sports, coca cola, John Deere, even pigs, anything that people collect, or seasonal prints so they can accent their tissue boxes all year round. Don't forget the kids prints or fabric for men. Also, try to have a variety of price ranges. The $50.00 table runner may be beautiful, but the gift exchanges people are in, have lower price limits as well as people with limited incomes that just want a small "thank you" gift for someone that they want to remembver. Small gift card envelopes use up little scraps of fabric and make great stocking stuffers. If you crochet or knit, cotton dishcloths are always a good seller.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:47 AM

Maybe check back to the Projects of the Month we did in 2014, there might be a couple ideas there that work. I remember we did a wine bag, a pillowcase with drawstring and an apron, just for starters.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:12 PM

I did a show in Aug and the best thing that sold was Jewelry bags, towels with the pot holder and button to put on the stove. zippered cloth bags for anything when traveling and table runners and baby quilts. Tote bags are selling also.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:44 PM

I’m a Baby Boomer and our generation has enough of most everything. I’d cater to a younger crowd. Thinking 2 white dish towels with a matching potholder (set) and label it as “teacher gift”. I’ve never made slippers but I’ve seen cute ones & id be interested in those for myself.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by SueZQ from MN View Post
I sold hundreds of boutique-size tissue box covers when I did shows. People were looking for either "themed" fabrics like dog breeds, cats, hobbies or sports, coca cola, John Deere, even pigs, anything that people collect, or seasonal prints so they can accent their tissue boxes all year round. Don't forget the kids prints or fabric for men. Also, try to have a variety of price ranges. The $50.00 table runner may be beautiful, but the gift exchanges people are in, have lower price limits as well as people with limited incomes that just want a small "thank you" gift for someone that they want to remembver. Small gift card envelopes use up little scraps of fabric and make great stocking stuffers. If you crochet or knit, cotton dishcloths are always a good seller.
Great ideas, especially like the idea of gift card envelopes. I think everyone can use these.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
I’m a Baby Boomer and our generation has enough of most everything. I’d cater to a younger crowd. Thinking 2 white dish towels with a matching potholder (set) and label it as “teacher gift”. I’ve never made slippers but I’ve seen cute ones & id be interested in those for myself.
You're right, I'm a baby boomer too and I'm not buying much these days. I've knit a lot of felted wood slippers and they are very comfy and soft and washable. I have a couple dozen in my attic right now. They only problem with selling them is that it is very hard to size them. Because they are felted wool each one comes out slightly different, so 3 pair made to size 7 could could come out with one a size 6, one a size 7 and one a size 8.