Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutter Game Changer >

Rotary Cutter Game Changer

Rotary Cutter Game Changer

Old 09-23-2023, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
15 blades for $17.23 free shipping is what I pay at Amazon for the Headley titanium coated blades. They are a pretty gold color which means nothing but they are snazzy looking.
I get them also and have been very pleased with the quality.
Old 09-23-2023, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
me too. I love my olfa curved handle self close cutters. Getting cheap about changing blades is where my wrist fatigue comes in Because it is gradual I don't even think about it until it starts missing threads. Blades are the cheapest part of this expensive hobby, don't know why we fight changing them so hard.
Same here! I dither about, pressing harder and going over more than once. Then, when I finally change the blade, the difference is astounding. And I KNOW this will be the case. I buy large packs of the blades on Amazon, so they aren't too bad per blade - but I do it every single time.
Old 09-23-2023, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
just be aware that I like those that close automatically too.... but if you don't push that little button to lock them in place after they close, they will still sometimes open if bumped hard enough. I stuck the blade of one of the ones that close automatically into the vinyl flooring in my kitchen when it dropped off the ironing board. I hate to think what would have happened if it had hit my sandaled foot instead. So, I am always hitting that button when I put it down.
Yes, that is very true. I rarely have anything on my feet at home. I do lock it when I'm done cutting, but not between cuts. I probably should...
Old 09-23-2023, 05:49 AM

Thanks for posting. That sounds lovely. I can see how ball bearings would make a huge difference.
Old 09-23-2023, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I change blades at first skip. I have seen so many at retreats and sew days use a dull blade to make them last. I use to be that way but one day I was helping my husband in his shop and he changed out a $200 saw blade because it wasn't cutting like new He didn't feel any guilt at all.
Old 09-23-2023, 03:48 PM

One by One you raise an interesting point...I think women in general and makers in particular (and probably quilters most of all) are expected to be thrifty to the max: even if that impairs their ability to make the art they want to make.

You hear it less now but when I started quilting every second post on a chat board was about avoiding "waste". No one criticizes painters for making field sketches and "wasting" paint and paper. Why quilters? To this day when I hear "no waste" as an accolade it puts my teeth on edge (current fabric prices notwithstanding!).

The other thing that I had happen a few times were private messages from older quilters who warned me to build a big stash before retirement because after that, no room would be made in the budget for fabric/quilting purchases. These were women older than myself, of a generation given no access to the marital discretionary spending capital. And I had to admit, my own husband was not happy at first that I had taken up such a frumpy hobby, let alone one that cost money. Mercifully he gets it now.

But. I have built a VERY large stash!!! I will lay in some of those Headley blades as well : )
Old 09-23-2023, 05:47 PM

Recently brought Fiskers 60 mm cutter, far superior to 45mm cutter, less pressure,cuts through fabric every time,Titanium blade probably outlast normal 45mm x 10 times
Old 09-24-2023, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by ZooAnimals View Post
Recently brought Fiskers 60 mm cutter, far superior to 45mm cutter, less pressure,cuts through fabric every time,Titanium blade probably outlast normal 45mm x 10 times
Ha! I have cutters in all sizes, each is better for something. I use the smallest size when cutting very small pieces., the 45 Is what I use for general cutting and trimming, and the 60 is wonderful for when doing larger cuts, multiple layers, flannel, or trimming the edges of a quilt. Just like machines, can't have too many cutters!
Old 09-24-2023, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by ZooAnimals View Post
I also use the 60mm because I find it cuts thru fabrics better. I have a 45mm somewhere that I haven't used since I discovered the 60mm. I did buy a shark cutter a few years ago. It's good for cutting curves. I mostly use it for cutting out garments but it would be good for applique pieces also.
Old 09-24-2023, 09:00 AM

Since Jenny from MS uses it, I’m assuming the blades can easily be switched for left-handed users?