Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Ever have to "reinvent yourself"? >
  • Ever have to "reinvent yourself"?

• Ever have to "reinvent yourself"?

Old 12-28-2009, 02:50 PM

I call this resiliency! I'm young yet but life has already taken me down paths I never expected. Just remember to pray the prayer that never fails , "Thy will be done." He never gives us more than we can handle and gives us the strength and grace in measure to the task. Focus on what you need today and I'm sure you already know that it all seems to work out in the end.
    Old 12-29-2009, 08:09 AM

"Reinventing" yourself is a constant and necessary thing. I think the alternative is severe mental depression. All the pre-conceived ideas of what my life would be like at a particular age have flown out the window, so I quit doing that. My "future" planning is not long-range any more and basically involves quilting, landscaping, and maintaining this house so it doesn't fall down around us.
    Old 12-29-2009, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
    I call this resiliency! I'm young yet but life has already taken me down paths I never expected. Just remember to pray the prayer that never fails , "Thy will be done." He never gives us more than we can handle and gives us the strength and grace in measure to the task. Focus on what you need today and I'm sure you already know that it all seems to work out in the end.
    I apologize to you if this offends, but I've always been curious about something and perhaps you can answer my question. If God never gives us more than we can handle, why do people commit suicide every day of the year and why do we have millions of people living in mental institutions around the world?
    Old 12-29-2009, 09:18 AM

I like to think that I'm always in a state of growth and hopefully for the better in life's learning experiences. I pray for strength and understanding and then move on and life doesn't have a roadmap you pick your own highways.
    Old 12-29-2009, 09:23 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Weezie,
    I am a "Suicide surviver" a child of a parent that committed suicide. The hurt that spreads is far and wide. Yes, i too believe "God gives us only what we can handle." But weirdly enough, I too believe we can put our hands up in the air and say "Enough! Please, no more."

I have been thinking a lot of this reineventing topic. I do like the word, it is a positive word for a hard part of life. This board includes so very many people, you will get a whole lot of answers to there questions that have been posted. Life is complicated.

It is all complicated. Having adult children shame an adult that has been shocked by life's turn, not knowing what to do, not having tools to turn things around quickly.. All hard knocks.

My mother taught her daughters at a very young age, life throws curves that one has to react. So, I have always had "Plan A, B and C" Parkinson's was never in the plan.

I have often said.. "If I had turretts I would tell you what I really think."

Yep, life stinks sometimes. I take one day at a time. Make some kind of arrangements to still move forward, some are things I never thought of before.

You are right. There is quite a large community of Mental health people, fortunately, that community is getting help. If they are not, I pray others are reaching out to them.

Take care. not Pollyanna story here. Just hoping you can find a deeply set courage to wake up each day. No guarentees in life.. Not easy, everyone has a story. Yours is a sad one and I do hope for a new beginning you have not thought of yet.

School cafeterias take moms, if you can lift 40 pounds, libraries can take shelvers, telephone sales - not in your house - take Moms.. All can be stressful. Spread the word around those you know, network ! For real ! A wild thought may be there just not known.
    Will continue thinking of you, Please take good care of yourself. Excersize.. for real.. I walked 5 miles a day and it always helped.
    Please keep in touch with the board, many of us want to know how you progress.

Ell
    Old 12-29-2009, 09:47 AM

Hi Ell. Thanks very much for your response. However, I am not suicidal. In fact, I am very fortunate, for the most part. So far, I've dealt just fine with the past 66 years ... burps, bumps, and all.

I just think that the statement that God never us gives more than we can handle is simply not true for everyone and I want someone to give me a rational explanation as to why they think it is true. Aside from the millions living in mental institutions, there are millions more who desperately need mental health care, i.e., the suicides, the severely depressed, the brutal and inhumane, such as rapists, murderers ... the list is endless.
    Old 12-29-2009, 10:26 AM

I guess we are all a bit like quilts, a square here and there,lots of different colours, but in the end it all makes a beautiful 'whole" with lots of patterns and different textures. If life sat in one place we would never become that beautiful quilt. (yes, my life has been full of reinventing too, thought it was just moi till I read this thread,now feel I am in very good company) :)
    Old 12-29-2009, 11:01 AM

Think of all the positive...don't dwell on the other....I love doing and trying new things

yes the others are right this is life...the alternitive is death or coma :cry: :thumbdown: ;) :thumbup:
    Old 12-29-2009, 12:12 PM

Yes, I'm in the same spot. Twenties--legal secretary then a mom; thirties--first a mom, then school, then a paralegal, then graduate school; forties--social worker; fifties--disabled. That's where it ends. For now, quilting is reinventing me. Best of luck. It's the journey, not the destination.
    Old 12-29-2009, 07:45 PM
    Banned

I did 10 years ago, I realized that I was living to work and not working to live. I woke up one morning and realized that I was missing everything that is important to me. Like being with my wife and watching my kids grow up and seeing them in the school programs and plays and doing the PTO thing.

So I quit a 6 digit a year job and semi-retired, now all I do is paint high end show cars and bikes at my own leisure out of a 2 1/2 car garage in the backyard. I will admit everything I owned was already paid for so it was not going to be a huge burden as far as the bills go but it was still an adjustment going from 70 hour weeks to doing my own thing.

Ten years later I am having the time of my life, I am closer to my family than I ever was. I got to see the kids grow up and spend time with them helping with their school and other projects. My wife and I share all the household duties so her stress levels are next to nil and when we want to take off and go on a trip we do it.

Now I work when I want to and not because I have to.

Billy