Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need new sewing machine=which one? >

Need new sewing machine=which one?

Need new sewing machine=which one?

Old 02-25-2010, 05:15 AM

I had my choice as to what machine I would like to have had. Of all things, I chose a Pfaff, tipmatic, 6150 over twenty years ago. It is not a computer. However, I can do everything I want to do including unique stitches, twin needle stitching and machine quilting just to mention a few. It has a dual feed built in so everything feeds evenly. Up to now, I have been quite satisfied with it. No worries about the mother board going haywire! Just my two cents worth. :roll:
Old 02-25-2010, 05:24 AM

I use to be a diehard Brother fan I have the Brother ULT 2003D then I bought a Janome 10001 at a garage sale got it for my DD who wanted a larger hoop than her Brother 270D but I liked the machine so much it was so easy to change from sewing to embroidery I kept it for a year when I got a new machine for my 41 anniversary I went with the Janome 11000SE because my sister had let me use hers for 2 weeks and I had to have one Janome makes great machines and I love not having to change the unit from sewing to embroidery
Old 02-25-2010, 05:27 AM

Well, I own a Bernina and a Pfaff and love them both for different reasons. The two you quoted are the high end machines made by those manufacturers and are way too pricey for me. I own the Pfaff Expression 2038 and it is what I prefer to use for piecing and general sewing. I absolutely LOVE the built in walking foot! For FMQ I use a Bernia QE 440 and the reason for that is the BSR (built in stitch regulator).
Old 02-25-2010, 05:59 AM

Check Amazon, they have good prices on Brother, Janome,and Singer. They may offer a Bernina and a Pfaff or two.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:01 AM

Hi from another Colorado-an. I'm looking at buying another machine by the end of the year. I would really like the Bernina 440EQ but unless I hit the lottery that won't happen. I'm really leaning towards the Janome 6600, which I hear has some new features coming out in April or May (one of which I hope is a stitch regulator). I currently use a Janome Sew Precise. It has been a work horse. I love it.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:52 AM

I have been quilting for about 12 years now and I just got a new one last year and couldn't be happier. It is the Singer Precision. Has some embroidery stitches, is easy to handle and I love it. No complaints whatsoever - got it at Target! Edie
Old 02-25-2010, 07:09 AM
Lyn

I have a Pfaff CV and love it. There are so many little things it does. I do all my quilting on it. I have built in walking foot. When you start the machine it automatically drops the foot and when you stop the foot comes up a fraction. The embroidery is wonderful. You need a few lessons on the embroidery because there is a learning curve. I am very pleased with my CV.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:23 AM

The one thing I love about my Bernina is I have never had tension problems. But I have an older 930 Bernina. Every machine I had before it, was always about the tension.
Originally Posted by Ruby
Hi, I love my Janome, had it for 16 years. Checked out the new ones and they are great. I've noticed many students have tension problems with their Berninas over the years of teaching. But, they do love them.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:12 AM

I have used Berninas for years. I still use my 1260 for my workhorse and it has decorative stitches I like. Then I got the 500 embroidery. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but enuf cards to keep me happy. Also have the 1050DCE serger that I love. I did buy the Janome 6000 because of the deeper throat for my quilting frame and the Jem for classes.

You will find the more you sew, the better your knowledge of all machines and you will at some time or other want to upgrade.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:29 AM

As others have said here, it depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend. For a good piecing workhorse, nothing beats a Singer 221 Featherweight (the original models manufactured between the 1930s and the 1960s). It has a straight stitch, goes forward and back, and is easy to maintain. The cost varies depending on who's selling and how much you want to pay.

I started sewing at age 12 on my mom's Kenmore, bought my first machine (a Singer 237 FashionMate) in 1971 and it still works. I upgraded to a Bernina 440QE (without the embroidery module) about 3 years ago, because I wanted some decorative stitches. It cost me $3,000. The two features I like the best are the knee lift and the needle up/down.

My suggestion is to visit dealers and sit down and sew. Ask about repairs. And see if they have classes to teach you the bells and whistles of your machine.

Good luck and happy hunting!