Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hand Applique >
  • Hand Applique

• Hand Applique

Old 07-14-2010, 05:42 AM

I put the applique on freezer paper "sticky" side up. When I turn my edges down, it sticks to the freezer paper and makes the needle turn easy. Sometimes I baste it, depending how complicated it is, and take the paper out. Or I then cut a small slit in the back fabric and pull the paper out.
    Old 07-14-2010, 07:47 AM

I used to be so intimidated by hand applique, but over the last couple of years have actually grown to love it. I use the Piece O' Cake needle turn method. Hand applique is a good project to take along wherever you go. I've completed blocks for two lap quilts and have just begun working on blocks for "My Whimsical Quilt Garden" by Piece O' Cake.
    Old 08-01-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by ShowMama
    I used to be so intimidated by hand applique, but over the last couple of years have actually grown to love it. I use the Piece O' Cake needle turn method. Hand applique is a good project to take along wherever you go. I've completed blocks for two lap quilts and have just begun working on blocks for "My Whimsical Quilt Garden" by Piece O' Cake.
    I would love to see a picture of your work in progress! I loved the class I took from Linda Jenkins and that was the pattern she was teaching from. I was not able to pick up the book but I have taken the technique and boldly forged ahead.
    Old 08-01-2010, 08:01 PM

Me too!! I love most hand sewing. Applique, quilting, embroidery, english paper piecing. I just finished a totally machine pieced quilt and I can't wait to get something out to be hand done. The machine is fast, but hand work is so soothing to me.
    Old 04-14-2011, 05:11 PM

What kind of thread do you use for hand applique?
    Old 04-14-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by cackie88
    What kind of thread do you use for hand applique?
    Some like to use silk, because it is so fine, it disappears into the fabric. I have never used it because I would need so many colors and it does cost quite a bit. I like Mettler 60/2 wt. It is also very thin and comes in lots of colors. The best, in my opinion, is Superiors "frosted donut". It is a bobbin holder filled with 36 colors of Masterpiece 60/2 cotton thread. It gives you 36 colors without spending a fortune when you only need small amounts of each color. If you are only using a couple of colors, then buying regular sized spools of thread would make more sense.
    Old 04-14-2011, 06:37 PM

I find hand quilting and applique very relaxing and usually have one in a tote ready to go any where with me, it's just so portable :D