Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
USB port or card reader >

USB port or card reader

USB port or card reader

Old 04-07-2010, 07:06 AM

My new Babylock Eleago has card slot, USB cord to computer & USB port for flashdrive. You can only use 2Gb drives as it won't read anything bigger. I do like the flashdrive but I like the card too. I would imagine a new machine would have both.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Suzy
USB sticks are fine, but remember the sewing embroidery or quilting machine can only read so much information from that stick,so if you have too many designs on the stick the machine won't read anything. In your manuals for your machines it should tell you the limit. If not call your dealers or manufacturers and get it explained to you.

Hope this helps.

suzy
Thanks for the info. I am learning so much from everyone!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:11 AM

I would go with the card. Less wear and tear on your machine if you don't have to hook it up to the computer. Putting everything on the card would be easier, at least for me.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:18 AM

I would go with a USB port as there is nothing extra needed to buy that way so you can put some towards designs. I have one that uses floppies this was my first machine and another that uses the usb connection and I truly love it just wish I could leave it connected to the computer all the time though.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:23 AM

My computer is in one room & sewing machine in another. Can't move computer & sm weights a ton.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:24 AM

I have the Brother ULT 2003 uses card and floppy disk it is easy to put designs on it I have the Janome 11000SE and it uses the Card, USB Flash drives and has a USB port for the computer its nice having a choice on what to use but when I just need one design I usually go for the floppy guess just habit
Old 04-07-2010, 10:01 AM

I have had both and would definitely go with the usb sticks. It holds more designs and if you loose it or break it, it is easily replaced at a much cheaper cost. the cards are extremely expensive and if you ruin one you will not be a happy camper. I have a Janome 350E and MB4 and use the usb sticks for both.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:24 AM

if you get the machine that reads a card. you can download off the internet but you need a special reader converter box that cost extra. if you get one with a usb port you can buy or get free designs from the internet right to the usb memory stick My machine has both a memory card port and a usb port I never use the card port
Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra Craig
if you get the machine that reads a card. you can download off the internet but you need a special reader converter box that cost extra. if you get one with a usb port you can buy or get free designs from the internet right to the usb memory stick My machine has both a memory card port and a usb port I never use the card port
If it's ok to ask, which embroidery machine do you have? TIA
Old 04-07-2010, 01:50 PM

I have a Bernina 730...and you can use a card with preloaded designs..you can load them directly from the computer using a usb port..or you can download them to a usb stick and plug it into the side of the sewing machine. I have a Husqavarna (spelling) Iris and it only has a card and you have to use a card reader to download designs..which I found way to confusing. I hope this helps.