Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How many of us are organ donors? >

How many of us are organ donors?

How many of us are organ donors?

Old 04-22-2010, 04:51 PM

Count me in. I have been a donor all of my adult life.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:52 PM

Both my husband and I are signed up to be donors.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:53 PM

I'm a donor. I figured when I die I won't need them any longer so they may as well go to help someone else! I am also a blood donor. I have received blood transfusions a few times and know how important these can be when you need them.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:53 PM

I am a donor, and give blood several times a year as well. I am grateful to be healthy enough to do that, it's simple, and doesn't cost me anything (more $ for fabric!).
Old 04-22-2010, 04:57 PM

Count 4 from this family!
Old 04-22-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by dphelps
This is probably not the answer you would expect. I am an organ recipient. Many, many,years ago I was given a transfusion during surgery. It was tainted with Hep C and I was ill for a long time before my liver finally had to be transplanted. I would never wish this disease on even my least favorite person. Through the grace of God and a wonderful donor, my life was saved 2 years ago, My surgery, recuperation and thus, my life, could not be better. I cannot begin to express my joy and thankfullness to this person who thought so unselfishly to give a precious piece of their own life to save mine.
And you're why I'm a donor......
Old 04-22-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Maride
It is great to sign your card, but the last moment comes, especially if there is an accident, the final decision is made by your relatives. Sign your card and make sure your family members know what your final wishes are. Also, there is something we can do even before we are gone. Donating blood is a great way to help while we are still here.
I believe in Illinois if it is your wishes, your family can't dispute it. My nephew died suddenly at age 23. He was an organ/tissue donor and his donations have been accessed over 20 times. It is a wonderful gift to leave behind when you no longer need them. In honor of him lots of us in the family have become organ donors and give blood on a regular basis.
I think my oldest daughter put it best, when she earned her driver's license "what will I need them for when I die?". Too bad more teenagers don't think that way.
The high school I work at holds a blood drive twice a year and donors have decreased. One of the teacher/sponsors thinks the kids are too "me". Too bad for them.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dphelps
This is probably not the answer you would expect. I am an organ recipient. Many, many,years ago I was given a transfusion during surgery. It was tainted with Hep C and I was ill for a long time before my liver finally had to be transplanted. I would never wish this disease on even my least favorite person. Through the grace of God and a wonderful donor, my life was saved 2 years ago, My surgery, recuperation and thus, my life, could not be better. I cannot begin to express my joy and thankfullness to this person who thought so unselfishly to give a precious piece of their own life to save mine.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-33363.gif  
Old 04-22-2010, 05:14 PM

Blood and platelets now, anything they want when I die. The state of California is considering a requirement that you specify at the time you get a driver's license whether or not you will be a donor. Some will say no, of course, for any number of reasons, but I like that we'll be required to at least consider it.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:18 PM

Patti48- Thank you and all of you who have chosen to donate life. Unfortunately, way too many people do not understand organ donation and don't care to. It is up to the rest of us to EDUCATE. donna