Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • LQS questions?? >
  • LQS questions??

• LQS questions??

Old 05-02-2010, 10:48 AM

What gets me to return more frequently:

prices that seem fair - I am not expecting the shop to give it away but when the average fabric is 8.50/yd in one and 10/yd then I go to the 8.50 one all other things being equal

a customer reward card that is recorded in the shop's computer system. I have more than enough cards to carry and avoid the shops that makes me carry another one to record my purchases

if you have a reward system once I spend enough, don't tell me I will get a $10 when I spend $250 (that's a 4% bonus and not really worth it)

please read my mood. If I am not responding to your chatter, I probably don't want to talk and am thinking about what I want to purchase.
    Old 05-03-2010, 04:16 AM

My number ond desire
    A lqs
    we have 2 quilt guilds and closest quilt or fabric shop is 50 miles away.
    We do have a Wally World but they don't make us feel welcome. Don't like to have their chit chat interrupted.
    Old 05-03-2010, 05:08 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by amma
    I wish that they had room to not only have the fabric displayed by color, but also displayed by collections :D:D:D The best of both worlds :D:D:D
    Ooh... now you want them to stock TWO bolts of everything, one to put in the "by-color" room and one for in the "by-collection" room.

Hmmmm...

You know, a lot of online stores do organize their fabrics this way. (But you probably already knew that...)
    Old 05-03-2010, 05:47 AM

There was once a LQS in my town..the owner had her dog in the store all of the time. He was the size of a small horse and always wanted to greet customers. Ugh! I love dogs, but to this day I can still smell the dog smell thinking about it. I went their twice. Needless to say, the store closed within a year.
    I often wonder if anyone ever complained.
    D in TX
    Old 05-03-2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hockeyrabbit
    Hi-

Out of curiosity, are there things that you would like to see change/different in the local QS?? How would you want fabric arranged, color/designer/type? What special things would you like/want the LQS to offer? Should they offer coupons from Joanns etc.??

I am curious as I just went to a store about a week ago and it was just a mess! I had to leave after 20 minutes..bolts of fabric everywhere, just totally disorganized..it got me thinking!
    I want someone to greet me when I come in, ask if I need help, but don't hover if I just want to browse. I'm more impressed with staff friendliness and attitude than whether they offer coupons. For me, quilting is as much a social thing as a "purchase" thing, so if I feel comfortable and welcome in a store, I'll be back to buy more!
    Old 05-03-2010, 06:43 AM

Yes,MamaNan, I wish we had a LGS in our area. The closest one is 1 1/2 hr away. When I go, I have to stock up or go via internet to other sites.
    Old 05-03-2010, 06:44 AM

Yes,MamaNan, I wish we had a LGS in our area. The closest one is 1 1/2 hr away. When I go, I have to stock up or go via internet to other sites.
    Old 05-03-2010, 06:55 AM

what is the name of that store what other town is it near
    Old 05-03-2010, 07:04 AM

I like to look at the fabric and see what they've done with it. Sometimes I love a fabric and want to buy it but can't imagine what I'll do with it (besides pet it). Usually by the time they have a sample out, they're out of the fabric as it was from a couple of seasons ago. Anyway, that would be nice.
    Old 05-03-2010, 09:46 AM

As a partner in a small quilt/gift store, I have a unique perspective. Your lqs has fixed costs that they must pay every day. Fabric costs are continuing to rise, and it's hard to make any profit and keep the store looking great, have darling samples, offer classes, have knowledgeable experienced staff, etc., etc. AND have great deals and low prices. We strive to make our customers feel welcomed, important, and valued. Do the chains do that, or the "bargain fabric places"? If you like having an independent quilt store, prove it by shopping there.