I HAVE TOMATOES

Old 05-05-2010, 06:50 AM

I used the topsyturve thing last year the plant grew and grew,blossomed and no tomatoes, So did not do it this year went the old tried and true,veggie garden. Jolo
Old 05-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilter2
Last year I had a Topsy Turvy tomato plant and it did terrible, only had 4 tomatoes, wonder what I did wrong?
Dont feel like the Lone Ranger, my neighbor had a pair of them and the plants grew like crazy but he only had a few off of each plant. Mine were so loaded down that I was giving them away to him and his family and all of my neighbors that wanted them. We planted 5 plants in the normal fashion.

This year wear are only planting 3 plants and I am going to do the peppers this year (Habanero, Jalapeno, Tabasco, Bell and maybe Bananna) along with my herbs.

Billy
Old 05-05-2010, 11:11 AM

Let me say up front...I am no gardener, my DH says I can't grow mold in the frig (although my comeback is usually "why would I want to?"). Anyway, last year I did the Topsy Turvy tomatoe tree (the one with 3 holes on the sides of the bag, not the smaller one with 1 hole in the bottom) thing. I was over run with tomatoes. I think the important thing to remember is to keep the plants well-watered. Remember, they don't get access to any ground water so if the soil in the bag isn't kept moist the roots dry out. I watered mine twice a day unless we had rain that day.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:24 PM

Where did you hang your Topsy Turvy? Maybe I didn't hang it in a good place or maybe its just too hot here for tomatoes.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:18 PM

I put it on the deck, just outside the family room. Let's see, that would be the north side of our house. I didn't have a hose so each morning I filled up 4 (2 liter) soda bottles - two for in the morning and two for the evening. Oh, I designated Friday as "Fertilizer Friday" and gave them a dose of Miracle Grow.
And (see me hang my head sheepishly?) I talked to them every
day.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:20 PM

I have it hung where it gets 6 hrs full sunlight and my watering can holds 6 cups of water. I water them in the morning and late afternoon or early evening. and I talk to them and they grown... Plants like to be talked to. Besides, they don't tell secrets :D
Old 05-05-2010, 01:20 PM

YUM I love home grown tomatoes. Send some this way :)
Old 05-05-2010, 01:51 PM

As promised, here are pictures of my first tomato. As you can see there are lots of blooms. So far, each bloom has produced a baby 'mater
Attached Thumbnails attachment-45784.jpe  
Old 05-05-2010, 03:45 PM

Is that picture of your tomato planted in a Topsy Turvy?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:38 PM

In So. CA you can have a garden nearly year round. Have a son in Downey who raises things whenever he decides he wants to plant something. As for the Topsy Turvys, I've talked to some who had good luck and some said, "never again." I thought of trying them this year, but living in Senior Housing doesn't leave room for much of anything.