Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • The dreaded swimsuit shopping >
  • The dreaded swimsuit shopping

• The dreaded swimsuit shopping

Old 05-24-2010, 01:19 PM

If you are truely "Plus size" then try Roamans.com or Womanwithin.com Also might try justmysize.com
    Old 05-24-2010, 01:20 PM
    Banned

I just have a question for you, MadQuilter, does this mean you have warmed up enough to change your avatar picture? LOL
    Old 05-24-2010, 01:42 PM

Hey there- I bought a bathing suit last year, because we were going to the TExas coast for a honeymoon, and because my sister-in-law (where we were getting married) has a pool. Ugh.

While I was searching for a suit, one of the ladies also shopping asked me if I was looking a swim skirt? I had no idea what she was talking about. They are fabulous! I found a couple of tankini tops, and then I went on eBay and bought two "swim skirts" in my size that coordinated with the tops.

They are little like mini-skirts with panties, but a little hipper looking than your mom's skirted bathing suit. It worked for me because while I am big all over, my boobs are proportionally bigger, which means a big suit that sags at the bottom. Like I'm not droopy enough.

Check it out. And on eBay, I got a couple of new bottoms for about $15. each, instead of $50. totally worth it.

Good luck-

Mags
    Old 05-24-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Hi ladies,

I find myself in the dismal position of having to buy a swimsuit (or well-covering 2-piece/tankini). As a plus-size girl I am totally overwhelmed with the choices and the prices. My biggest fear is that I might show up and clear the beach because the patrons are so frightened by the sight.

Where do you buy your swim suits? Which brands/styles do you like. Can someone please point me in a constructive direction? I looked at Land's End and found the nip and tug variety of all sorts of control but boy are they expensive......

I HATE SHOPPING! When it comes to swimwear, I even hate it on the internet.
    i hate shopping also..all shopping. but i did find a cute 2 pc one at Kohls, 22 top, 18 bottom - swim skirt. ( i am 5'7" 200 lbs, if that helps)
    i got it when i was on vacation in texas. they were on sale..under $40.00 total. i got a cover up also,white cotton,loose fabric.

i have always wanted to buy one on QVC..they sell them for full figured gals..about $50 to $80 bucks.
    Old 05-24-2010, 01:57 PM

but i did find a cute 2 pc one at Kohls, 22 top, 18 bottom - swim skirt. ( i am 5'7" 200 lbs, if that helps)
    i got it when i was on vacation in texas. they were on sale..under $40.00 total. i got a cover up also,white cotton,loose fabric.

Me too! 22 on top, 16-18 on the bottom. What a Pain in the butt. But the swim skirt totally rules. You gotta try it.
    Old 05-24-2010, 02:39 PM

Catherines, or I buy cheap Speedos at Costco. I am also plus size, but I do water aerobics 3 times a week. I buy the cheap speedos for water aerobics, because the suits wear out quick. But Catherines is a great place for plus size women and reasonable prices. They are associated with Lane Bryant, but less expensive and have wonderful sales.
    Old 05-24-2010, 02:40 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    I just have a question for you, MadQuilter, does this mean you have warmed up enough to change your avatar picture? LOL
    That's funny! The suit is for the beach in Hawaii in July. The picture is Bodega Bay CA in April.

Hm, I just saw a storefront for Catherine's - but where??? Google don't fail me now.
    Old 05-24-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
    Me too! 22 on top, 16-18 on the bottom. What a Pain in the butt. But the swim skirt totally rules. You gotta try it.
    i never could buy off the rack in sets..

:roll:

seperates are great!
    the skirt is chocolate brown and the top has browns and a pattern in it..
    i am still a chubby bubby, but i don't care anymore...i want to swim, i don't worry about what others think. it was so friggin hot in texas!
    Old 05-24-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I feel so much better because I am not alone. BArb - I am looking in the mirror and wonder when I turned into my mother! Aaaaaaaaaahhhhh.

Suppose a trip to Kohl's is in order but I REFUSE to face the changing room mirror. I REFUSE! Those darn things are really slightly disguised fun-house mirrors. NO WAY can I be as lumpy, bumpy, and droopy as they make me out to look - NOPE! Not possible - lol
    I feel your pain. :roll:

I use to hate to put on a swim suit. But I love the water too much. So I have a great T Shirt Tank dress that covers many, many, problems. I wear it over my swim suit until I either lay down on the chair or get in the water. Life is too short, put that swim suit on and have fun. When you reach my age, I really don't worry anymore what people think. Life is too short. Have fun.
    Old 05-24-2010, 02:45 PM

I don't buy those horrid things....lol

Bathing suits rank right up there next to a bathroom scale. Both should be outlawed if you weigh more than 125 lbs.