Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lamp Question ??? >

Lamp Question ???

Lamp Question ???

Old 07-23-2010, 12:05 PM

The one I have looks like the photo posted by grammypammy7 on page 1. It has a flexible neck-mine also has a detachable magnifyer (which I hardly use-actually, it gets in the way if I leave it on!).
Old 07-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

I use a flexible arm table lamp directly behind my machine and bend the arm just over the machine for maximum light. Also use the new Bendable Brightlight that sticks on the side of the machine. I can position the light right over my stitching. Works so great I forget to turn on the ceiling light as it gets dark.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety2911
I use a flexible arm table lamp directly behind my machine and bend the arm just over the machine for maximum light. Also use the new Bendable Brightlight that sticks on the side of the machine. I can position the light right over my stitching. Works so great I forget to turn on the ceiling light as it gets dark.
I'd been wondering how one of those little lights would work on the machine and have been considering one. Love my Pfaff 4.0 but the lighting could be better, in my opinion. My Ott light helps a lot but there is still an area where a bit more light would be a good thing and I have good vision or so the eye doctor tells me. Thanks for mentioning. Think I'll pick one of those up.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:33 AM

They sell lights at the Big Lots store that look like the ott lites.They are by far much cheaper and that is what my son used in his profession as a tattoo artist which requires good lighting.He liked them better than the ott lite.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by littlehud
I use a floor lamp that can be adjusted to wherever I need the light.

me too; mine is a halogen (spelling?) lamp
Old 07-24-2010, 04:10 AM

My husband and I both have floor lamps that look like Ott lights but without the name. We got the first ones at ShopKo. His got knocked over and now is not working. Found a replacement at Big Lots for $40. Works just fine and we love them for reading or handwork.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:37 AM

I have 2 Ott-Lits, one is a floor model, which sits over my ironing table. The other has a heavy base and sits behind my sewing machine on the table. I can bend the lamp up to shine on my design surface behind my table or if I'm standing to cut fabric or over my machine, wherever I need it to see. I love it. The bulb is the original and is over 10 years old.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:52 AM

i also have an otto lamp that i got for 1/2 price at joann's and i really like it. i like the idea of the miners lamp. dh has one for hunting (tracking a deer that is down after dark). i'll have to ask him if i can give it a try. thanks for the tip!
Old 07-24-2010, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Evelynquilts
I find I am not able to see at night like I used to. Since I like to do handwork while watching TV ,I was thinking of buying a lamp..do any of you have one you like? I need lots of light...I was thinking a floor lamp, the one on my table does not give me the light I need...Thanks for your imput... :D
Years ago I bought a floor lamp on wheels with a hinged arm. It has a circular florescent light surrounding a magnifying glass. I keep it behind my TV chair and bend it over my shoulder. I can also move it to the side to use the Mglass. At the time, they were $79. Now they are $179 or more. It was pricey for me at the time but turned out to be the best light I ever bought. Right now I'm looking for an Ott circular bulb that will fit it.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:59 AM

Ott makes great floor lamps for sewing. Check JoAnns maybe you can use a coupon and get a good price.