Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • I found this in my mother in law's closet! >
  • I found this in my mother in law's closet!

• I found this in my mother in law's closet!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:23 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    Originally Posted by KatFish
    We love them because they sew like a dream with those all metal gears. Love all of mine Singers, 221 Feather Weight, 301A, 223, 401 and 501A. Some how I have ended up with 10 sewing machines. I thought of getting rid of a few, but then I remember DH has 10 fishing rods, so I can keep them all. :-D
    Thanks for making me laugh out loud . . . and making me 'prepared' for a quick response when asked "why do you need so many sewing machines". ROFL!!!!
    No kidding. My husband's favorite answer when asked how many fly fishing rods he needs is just one....more. Now I won't feel so guilty about having a couple of sewing machines and a serger. LOL
    Old 08-02-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
    Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    Originally Posted by KatFish
    We love them because they sew like a dream with those all metal gears. Love all of mine Singers, 221 Feather Weight, 301A, 223, 401 and 501A. Some how I have ended up with 10 sewing machines. I thought of getting rid of a few, but then I remember DH has 10 fishing rods, so I can keep them all. :-D
    Thanks for making me laugh out loud . . . and making me 'prepared' for a quick response when asked "why do you need so many sewing machines". ROFL!!!!
    No kidding. My husband's favorite answer when asked how many fly fishing rods he needs is just one....more. Now I won't feel so guilty about having a couple of sewing machines and a serger. LOL
    My DH also has 8 guns, a boat and kiyak I uses for leverage.
    Old 08-02-2010, 11:54 AM

I still have my first machine--a Singer-- purchased by my husband for me in 1948 because he thought I needed a machine to hem a dress. I never told him otherwise! The machine is still in good sewing condition and makes a prettier stitch than most of the newer machines.
    Old 08-02-2010, 11:58 AM

I have one just like it and sew on it nightly. It belong to my grandmother before it became mine. Do you have both Knee and foot controls? I love using the knee control for mine.

Happy Quilting to you!!!!
    Old 08-02-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
    What is it about these heavy vintage machines? I love them!!! I found this today and have asked to "borrow" it for a while. I love it. It sews so smoothly! I may have to adopt it for my own!
    My machine is exactly the same except in a cabinet. It's a Singer Stylus 457 Zig Zag and I absolutely love it. It was a gift from my DH around 1967. I stil have it and wouldn't part with it. Hope you get as much pleasure from yours as I have with mine.