Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Improving "eyesight" >

Improving "eyesight"

Improving "eyesight"

Old 11-01-2010, 06:59 AM

I've worn contracts since 1959. I have the mono vision and it does take some getting used to. I wear the hard gas permeable lens. Never had the desire for soft lenses. Bright light does help too.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:00 AM

I wish I could help you, but I wear Trifocals. It is so much fun trying to line up the glasses with the sewing machine.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:10 AM

I have a seperate pair of glasses for computer and sewing. I have the eye Dr. set the top area at the distance I am usually from the computer screen. Mine is approx. 26" from eye to screen. I have no idea what he does, but the glasses work great, for sewing I measure my comfort position and have hubby get the measurement to the needle. For me its approx 18". So the top of the glasses are set to 26" and bifocal area to 18". I just know it works, have no idea how its done.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:34 AM

I am nearsighted too. Wore contacts for years, now just wear my glasses, bifocals. I can still see real close up better, without them, but agree, it is a hassle. I can't imagine sitting at my sewing machine & not having to use them, lol, I would have to be really close to that needle! But, with handwork, sometimes I just slide them down & look over the top & see alot better. DH has good vision, but is amazed at what teeny tiny print I can read, that he can't, when I take my glasses off, lol...
Old 11-01-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
For the first time, I've been sewing with my glasses. My problem is that I'm extremely nearsighted. Since I can see my absolute best with my "natural" eyes up close, it was amazing how much easier it was to match seams, etc just by taking off the glasses. Then the glasses went back on for everything else, sewing included. The result is a nasty headache! Ugh!

I had been sewing with my contacts in and reading glasses. The power of the reading glasses is perfect for me to read, but I think I could probably use more power for sewing(?) So, I'm wondering if any of you are nearsighted contact wearers and have suggestions to improve sewing vision.

Thanks!
This is so funny. I had just ask my eye doctor about this matter. I thought something was wrong with my eyes. He told me that it was my age. He said that since I am near sighted that my eyes were probably getting stronger. So I am like you. I have to take my glasses off to do the up close work, then put them back on when I do the other things like pressing and and cutting. It is very annoying to have to be putting on and taking off my glasses while sewing. But I am getting use to it.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by chamby
Originally Posted by nance-ell
For the first time, I've been sewing with my glasses. My problem is that I'm extremely nearsighted. Since I can see my absolute best with my "natural" eyes up close, it was amazing how much easier it was to match seams, etc just by taking off the glasses. Then the glasses went back on for everything else, sewing included. The result is a nasty headache! Ugh!

I had been sewing with my contacts in and reading glasses. The power of the reading glasses is perfect for me to read, but I think I could probably use more power for sewing(?) So, I'm wondering if any of you are nearsighted contact wearers and have suggestions to improve sewing vision.

Thanks!
This is so funny. I had just ask my eye doctor about this matter. I thought something was wrong with my eyes. He told me that it was my age. He said that since I am near sighted that my eyes were probably getting stronger. So I am like you. I have to take my glasses off to do the up close work, then put them back on when I do the other things like pressing and and cutting. It is very annoying to have to be putting on and taking off my glasses while sewing. But I am getting use to it.
I am right there with you both. Off for close up work and even reading, on for everything else. This even though I am wearing progressive lens. Might be time for a new prescription. I have to say that I got these at Walmart (not my favorite place BTW) and they are the best lenses I have ever had (Nikon wide angle correction). Expensive, but worth it ever so much.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
I wish I could help you, but I wear Trifocals. It is so much fun trying to line up the glasses with the sewing machine.
I am in the same boat with you and the trifocals. I think I will take them off and try the reading glasses, just happen to have a pair that I bought and never used. Thanks, you people are so helpful and it is amazing that so many of us are experiencing the same problems.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:44 AM

To those of you who can wear contacts, lucky you! I have been so nearsighted my whole life that I cannot get an acceptable result with contacts. Have worn thifocals for years and really have no problem but I make them put them lower than they want to. One added side effect, when I got the "old foggy" change, I was able to take them off and handsew closeup and it is like a magnifying glass.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:33 PM

I buy mine at dollar tree, I can see far away , but, cant' see a thing up close. I had what my Dr back in Maine called computer lenses and they were great but, I eventually grew out of them. Got another pair at Wal Mart and lost them at 300.00 a pair. that's when I decided dollar tree is good enough for now. But, I have to be careful and be checked because my mom had maccular degeneration and it is hereditary.What are monovision, never heard of them. I cant' use bi-focus they drive me crazy there is an in between area where I can't see any thing. Like reading a cookbook sitting on the shelf.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:37 PM

I went to trifocals and that sure seemed to help the mid-range vision. Makes sewing at the machine much nicer.