Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Enclosed quilt rack >
  • Enclosed quilt rack

• Enclosed quilt rack

Old 11-13-2010, 05:28 AM

Here's an inexpensive storage idea: Visit your area thrift shops and look for one of those all-cedar wood upright storage closets -- the kind from the early to mid 1900s. I even made one of these in wood shop class back in 1965. It is like having one huge upright Cedar chest, plus you can hang items in it, too. The last one I saw had a $45 price tag on it. If you do find one and it does not have that familiar Cedar aroma, do not worry. All you need to do is give a light sanding to the wood inside and the aroma is back again. Just be sure to clean out the dust afterward. A vacuum cleaner followed by a tack cloth would do just fine.

Not only will you have something that will be a great storage device, but it will cost you a fraction of what is available for storage today. Oh yes, I would think it wise to place a non-corrosive rack in the bottom, layered on top with archival paper, to keep the bottom quilt from making direct contact with the wood.
    Old 11-13-2010, 05:37 AM

Maybe I've led a sheltered life, but I don't think I've ever seen an "enclosed quilt rack."
    If your quilts were in a cupboard, you could change the doors (or the door panels) to glass.
    I'd love to see what you decide on!
    Old 11-13-2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?...0Quilt%20Chest

Here is one at JC Penney. There are thousands out there. Try googling "glass quilt rack" , "enclosed quilt rack" and "glass quilt display case". You will find many beautiful ideas.
    Oh! That's nice!
    Old 11-13-2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Damonj
    I am trying to find my wife an enclosed quilt rack, her grandmother passed away a short time ago and left her 2 made by hand quilts.
    We have dogs and cats, so she keeps the quilts put away. She doesn't want them to get ruined by the animals. Even tho it bothers her a great deal that she cannot display the quilts for all to see.
    Thanks
    Damon
    I have a friend who uses a glass front antique bookcase to show hers. it works fine
    Old 11-13-2010, 10:04 AM

My husband found an enclosed one at a furniture store. It has glass sides and a rounded top, like the old steamer trunks, and it has two wooden poles across the top that hold quilts. You can also fold and stack the quilts to be seen, but would be perfect for what you want. Check with your local furniture store and see if they have one or could order it.
    Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 AM

What a wonderful gift, I have been wanting one of those for years, so pretty.
    Old 11-13-2010, 01:52 PM

I have seen these quilt display cabinets at a few quilt shows and they are beautiful. I want one but have to find a place to put one.
    Kerry's Kollectibles 1218 Industrial Dr New Braunfels,Tx 78130 830-692-3922 www.quiltcurio.com
    They are solid Oak and beautiful. I would guess he ships them but I know at the shows they run $250. up but are well worth it.
    Check them out. kjym Kathy
    Old 11-13-2010, 04:22 PM

My sister and I each ordered one from a vendor at Paducah a couple years back. Vendor was Kerry's Collectibles from Texas. I love my curio chest, has beveled dome glass top with glass on 3 sides. Sets flat on floor. Available in many types of wood and stains.
    Old 11-13-2010, 04:39 PM

A friend had an old wooden feed trough that she put quilts in and had a Plexiglas top so you could see her quilts. She changed them for the seasons. They used it as a coffee table. I'm still looking for an old wooden feed trough - about 2 feet long and 18 inches across.
    Old 11-13-2010, 06:33 PM

Check out Kerry's they also make coffee tables for quilts with glass tops and sides. kjym Kathy