Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WARM AND NATURAL NEEDLES COTTON BATTING >

WARM AND NATURAL NEEDLES COTTON BATTING

WARM AND NATURAL NEEDLES COTTON BATTING

Old 11-15-2010, 05:20 AM

I just purchased the above named batting and it says to not wash before using. It will be a 3 percent shrinkage when you do it as part of quilt. If you want to do before anyways, it's hand wash, cold water, mild detergent, do not agitate, soak for 20 mins, then rinse in cold several times, Squeeze in water, do not wring, rolling in a towel will help. Dry in warm dryer or lay flat to air dry.

HOW to you people that have been using it do it? I don't want alot of wrinkling in my finished quilts. I always wash the fabrics first..
Old 11-15-2010, 05:42 AM

Good question :!: I will be watching to see the everyones answers.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

I've never washed batting before but some do. I'm thinking poly batting would prevent the wrinkling you don't want. Let's see what the others have to say.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:56 AM

I preshrink my Warm and Natural batting in hot water and no detergent. I let it soak in the water until it is completely wet. Keep pushing it down into the water with a ruller because it will float. Do not agitate it but do sping the water out. Then I put it in the dryer. If it going to shrink, I want it to shrink before I hand quilt it. I think it softens the batting and its easier to stitch.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:56 AM

Warm and Natural and Warm and White are both used a lot by longarmers (such as myself) and for quilters that want to needle a quilt top. The reason my customers and others I teach use it, is because they desire the "wrinkled & aged" finished appearance. (Additionally on Warm & White you can space your stitching up to 10" apart and the batt will not migrate.) And yes, if you do not want the aged look, by all means, do wash it prior to putting it in your quilt. Or might I suggest, use another type of batting. The higher the cotton content...the more the shrinkage...(the general rule.) Harriet Hargrave wrote an excellent book on battings, you might want to see if they have it at your library or guild library. There is really a ton to learn about batting for the hand and electric quilter. For myself, if I wanted extremely low loft and easy hand quilting/needling...I would use flannel, (washed in hot and dried on hot)...the finished product is pretty predictable and mades a wonderful looking quilt.
Just my 2 cents worth...
Old 11-15-2010, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119
I preshrink my Warm and Natural batting in hot water and no detergent. I let it soak in the water until it is completely wet. Keep pushing it down into the water with a ruller because it will float. Do not agitate it but do sping the water out. Then I put it in the dryer. If it going to shrink, I want it to shrink before I hand quilt it. I think it softens the batting and its easier to stitch.
Thank you !! I feel more assured now. I won't be hand quilting. I tie. I know it said every 10 inches to stitich. I am looking for a quilting machine of some sort. Can't afford anything one of the big ones. Also concerned about doing freehand. Want to also get an embroidery machine so off to my dealers to price second hand ones now. I have carpal tunnel, right hand that I use, and much needle work is about impossible.

Thank you for your post..off to get a walking foot and hopping foot.. Brad at Augers will give me instructions on that too.. THANKS!!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter4HireAndFun
Warm and Natural and Warm and White are both used a lot by longarmers (such as myself) and for quilters that want to needle a quilt top. The reason my customers and others I teach use it, is because they desire the "wrinkled & aged" finished appearance. (Additionally on Warm & White you can space your stitching up to 10" apart and the batt will not migrate.) And yes, if you do not want the aged look, by all means, do wash it prior to putting it in your quilt. Or might I suggest, use another type of batting. The higher the cotton content...the more the shrinkage...(the general rule.) Harriet Hargrave wrote an excellent book on battings, you might want to see if they have it at your library or guild library. There is really a ton to learn about batting for the hand and electric quilter. For myself, if I wanted extremely low loft and easy hand quilting/needling...I would use flannel, (washed in hot and dried on hot)...the finished product is pretty predictable and mades a wonderful looking quilt.
Just my 2 cents worth...
Thank you !! I have copied all your info. I never tried flannel but obviously your very familiar with it. Thanks, I appreciate and am copying this to my notes.

I want to eventually get so I can quilt with a machine ...always looking for a second hand machine. Trying to learn and also watching to see what is out there for machines that I can purchase that isnt way out of my pocketbook.
Thank you again!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:39 AM
alimaui

I personally prefer the crinkled look. I don't pre-wash anything.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

there are plenty of batts available that do not shrink, instead of trying to deal with pre-washing a large batt i would purchase one more in line with my requirements. i love working with warm & natural and love the look of the finished quilts when they have been washed, but i did use it for a table runner for my mother and she was unhappy with it after washing so now i only use poly batts with no shrinkage for table runners.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Banned

I steam press mine before use. Its the heat that shrinks it,so I dont bother to get it wet and dry it in the machine.