View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Donna Mare

Originally Posted by Quilter4HireAndFun
Warm and Natural and Warm and White are both used a lot by longarmers (such as myself) and for quilters that want to needle a quilt top. The reason my customers and others I teach use it, is because they desire the "wrinkled & aged" finished appearance. (Additionally on Warm & White you can space your stitching up to 10" apart and the batt will not migrate.) And yes, if you do not want the aged look, by all means, do wash it prior to putting it in your quilt. Or might I suggest, use another type of batting. The higher the cotton content...the more the shrinkage...(the general rule.) Harriet Hargrave wrote an excellent book on battings, you might want to see if they have it at your library or guild library. There is really a ton to learn about batting for the hand and electric quilter. For myself, if I wanted extremely low loft and easy hand quilting/needling...I would use flannel, (washed in hot and dried on hot)...the finished product is pretty predictable and mades a wonderful looking quilt.
Just my 2 cents worth...
Thank you !! I have copied all your info. I never tried flannel but obviously your very familiar with it. Thanks, I appreciate and am copying this to my notes.

I want to eventually get so I can quilt with a machine ...always looking for a second hand machine. Trying to learn and also watching to see what is out there for machines that I can purchase that isnt way out of my pocketbook.
Thank you again!