Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread question >

Thread question

Thread question

Old 11-16-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle
My machine will sew with anything, but my favorite piecing thread is Presencia 60wt 3 ply cotton. Harriet Hargrave recommends it as well.

Superior Threads makes a very nice cast iron thread stand you can use with any sewing machine, I have one for each of my machines as I always use large cones of thread... as you said, much more economical.
http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...ndcone-holder/
This is the same stand that I use, but oh my....I think I paid about $8.00 for it! They must have really gone up in price since I bought mine, at Hancocks, I think. :thumbdown: I've had it several years tho.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:25 PM

Thank you all so much! reat info!
Old 11-16-2010, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Japonica
I am headed to my last quilting class :cry: and will ask this question there also but wanted to check with all you experts. what is the best type of thread? I don't have a machine that uses cone thread (would love to figure out a way to be able to use it though, less costly). This morning I was sewing together some blocks for a rag quilt to hone my non existent sewing skills and the thread keeps breaking off the needle after a while. I checked the tension, threading of the machine, etc., and all seem to be correct. My thread I am using a a quilting thread purchased at Joann's and it is Americana 100% Glazed Cotton. Does the "Glazed" have something to do with jamming my machine and breaking the thread? I so need a quilting mommy!!! :roll:
I found that if you use the same thread in the bobbin as well on top it does help. Also if you are sewing too fast the thread whips around the needle and breaks. I am having that problem now when I am trying to finish a machine applique for Christmas break up next week.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:34 AM

I have tried many different threads on my featherweight and my modern machine. I have found that I am only happy with Gutterman, and the machine's love it.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:39 AM

I agree you may have hand quilting thread in your machine. If that is true then it will continue to break. I tried using this once in the machine. It is way to thick and heavy for machine sewing.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:26 AM

Well bless all your hearts! I removed that nasty hand quilting thread, (show what I know!!!) and voila, machine working great again! I am so happy.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:49 AM

For cone thread, I use a pint canning jar with glass marbles in the bottom (just enough to allow the cone to remain stable and flexible) . One woman in our quilt group winds extra bobbins and puts them in the bottom of the jar for stability so she always has a wound bottom when she needs one.

When I first joined my quilting group I had to purchase a machine, fabric, and other notions -- there wasn't money left over to purchase a cone holder (and I had no idea where to find one) so I grabbed what I had -- a canning jar, but it just didn't work, so I added the glass marbles that I used in vases and that worked -- no money spent.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:50 AM

Thread on cones. ? My husband (who isn't a finish person) took
a block of wood, put a BIG nail in it , put a thin piece of PVC pipe
over the nail , took a wire coat hanger and bent it so it would
hold the thread off the spool . It works terrific. I have some
cones to use too. I have a huge one of white I've been using for years and trying to get it gone.

GOOD LUCK

FLO in NYState
Old 11-17-2010, 04:04 AM

Yes, I agree with everyone on the board. Mettler or Gutterman and the thread from Connect Threads Online work great! Please never use glaced thread in the machine. It will do damage to the machine over time. Also, the size needle has a lot to do with the correct 'workings' of the machine. If everything is working correctly, you'll hear a humm to your machine as you sew!!
Old 11-17-2010, 05:10 AM

Change your needle, that is most likely the problem.