Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • JoAnn-Hancock Black Friday shopping!! >
  • JoAnn-Hancock Black Friday shopping!!

• JoAnn-Hancock Black Friday shopping!!

Old 11-26-2010, 05:28 PM

Great use of your time. It is a wonder someone did not get the material from your basket.
    Old 11-26-2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    What a great shopping day you had! I love fleece for backings and tied quilts. My cousin was first in the door at the Joann's in her town to buy her MIL a Go. She was told the one Go they had to sell was already sold. She said to who? I'm the first one here for it! No other customers there even asked about it, she got everyone's attention and asked who here bought the Go this morning. No one did. She was livid. I don't think she will be satisfied with the it's already sold pitch.
    I would have complained to the store manager.
    Old 11-26-2010, 05:46 PM

I braved JoAnn's today - couldn't pass up the $1.29/yd flannel. I got there around 9:30 and snagged a number before I even found a cart. Loaded up on flannel and some pellon, snagged a couple of zippers for the Grandkids Christmas jackets. I was done shopping by 10:45. Then it was time to wait - I browsed many quilting books, thumbed thru a couple of drawers of Butterick patterns (they were on sale for $.99), then I remember I need elastic and I saw a few bolts of fabric coming off the cutting table that I knew I just had to have a piece of. All said and done, it was 3:00 pm by the time I was out of there. I used two 50% reg priced items and the 20% entire purchase. I spent less than $100 and saved over $300. That, my friends, was worth my time. But i think next year, I'll be doing it online. Ouch, my feet hurt!
    Old 11-26-2010, 05:47 PM
    Cyn

Wow! Well good for you!
    Old 11-26-2010, 06:03 PM

I was at Joanns today, twice... :-)

First time was for fleece I needed and flannel I really didn't, but at $1.29/yd I couldn't pass it up! I love flannel for the backs of my quilts and this flannel, while certainly not the heaviest will be great for cuddle quilts. I got about 17 yds. The ladies at the cutting table were very pleasant and the lines weren't too bad, think I waited about 15 minutes. Heard the cutting ladies saying that one customer bout $317 worth of flannel....gosh! That would be almost 246 yds of flannel! I'll bet there will be some wonderful comfort quilt made out of that!

I also went to a LQS that had 40% off everything in the store with the exception of clearance items and sewing machines. Got a couple books (one was Book one of The Cotton Theory) and some great kids fabric to complete a quilt I am working on.

I was very surprised. Everyone was pleasant and helpful, and most of the folks in line very very congenial.

Don't usually go Black Friday shopping (don't like crowds) but doing my version - starting out at a LQS, made it fun.

Whew! I am beat, but very happy.
    Old 11-26-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by TN Donna
    Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    My cousin was first in the door at the Joann's in her town to buy her MIL a Go. She was told the one Go they had to sell was already sold. She said to who? I'm the first one here for it! No other customers there even asked about it, she got everyone's attention and asked who here bought the Go this morning. No one did. She was livid. I don't think she will be satisfied with the it's already sold pitch.
    I would have complained to the store manager.
    I've heard (probably here someplace!) that their employees can "set aside" the sale item(s) for their own personal purchase. On one hand, that doesn't seem fair when they only have one or two per store - but then again, I can only imagine what kind of day they had working there today!
    Old 11-26-2010, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter2B
    I braved JoAnn's today - couldn't pass up the $1.29/yd flannel. I got there around 9:30 and snagged a number before I even found a cart. Loaded up on flannel and some pellon, snagged a couple of zippers for the Grandkids Christmas jackets. I was done shopping by 10:45. Then it was time to wait - I browsed many quilting books, thumbed thru a couple of drawers of Butterick patterns (they were on sale for $.99), then I remember I need elastic and I saw a few bolts of fabric coming off the cutting table that I knew I just had to have a piece of. All said and done, it was 3:00 pm by the time I was out of there. I used two 50% reg priced items and the 20% entire purchase. I spent less than $100 and saved over $300. That, my friends, was worth my time. But i think next year, I'll be doing it online. Ouch, my feet hurt!
    With shopping skills like that....you need some very comfy shoes and clothes....and me with you next trip.
    Old 11-26-2010, 06:46 PM

You had a great day! I went to Joanne's also. Hit my favorite LQS when they opened at 10, then headed to Joanne's for some fusible interfacing. Took a number immediately and then shopped. I still waited for a long time, but everyone standing around was nice and friendly. Quilters are a friendly bunch everywhere you go.
    Old 11-27-2010, 04:41 AM

OK, so here goes lol. I am so into flannel and my favorite quilts are the rag quilts, and I love backing with flannel, sooo Handcock had it for $1.49 yard with free shipping on $60 order <now that wasn't hard> spent my Black Friday sitting in a line at walmart for a 32 inch flat screen for $198.00, met the nicest people and you really get to know people in 5 hours lol. I went to the walmart I worked at for 5 years so knew the person in charge of my line, we got 15 minute bathroom breaks and being older <wink> I had to have a lot, do you know how many things you can pick up in a 15 min break, at the end of my 5 hours I had a basket full and got almost everything I needed, I'm not much for shopping at walmart but it really was a relaxing 5 hours with good conversation, no fighting pushing and yelling, I would almost do it again....wait NO I would'nt LOL
    Old 11-27-2010, 04:59 AM

My daughter and I went to Joann's at about 10am. Got a number and went to Michaels, came back and still had to wait about an hour. THE BEST thing I got on line at 3am. I woke up about 2.30 and so I got on the computer. The link for the Accuquit Go was down. I stayed on line about 30 more minutes and went into that site again. IT WAS UP AND RUNNING. The price showed 199.00. I ordered the Accuquilt and it went through. I was so excited. I think I got on the site just at the right time to get the few that they had available. What a deal. Happy Holidays to all my quilting friends.