Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Here I sit... >

Here I sit...

Here I sit...

Old 12-11-2010, 07:26 AM

Get yourself some Echinacea to build up your immune system! Buy some chapstick. Get lots of rest and drink plenty of fluids. When you are all better, go get a flu shot! You, as a diabetic, cannot be sick this much and often!

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
This is the third nasty cold I have had this year. My lips are so chapped they feel like they have been scoured with a Brillo pad, my nose runs like Niagra Falls, my head seems to have been filled with that blown in foam insulation, and my chest feels like it's on fire. But other than that I feel pretty good for an ol' geezer. Couldn't sleep so I thought I'd get up and carouse the internet (too old and too sick to carouse the bars!) with a nice hot cup of tea. Dadburnit, as a newly diagnosed diabetic I can't even have real sugar in it! As my dear, saintly mother would have said "Old age isn't for the weak."
No need for condolences, there is a bright side to all this. Since I haven't felt like going anywhere for the last few days I am getting some quilting/sewing done. Finished another Christmas stocking for my niece's 6mo old (I make them for all new additions to the family...by birth or marriage), a tree skirt for one of my sisters, a small table topper for another sister, several hand towels with Christmas appliques, and two little ornaments for...well, just because I wanted to try the technique!
Old 12-11-2010, 07:44 AM

More power to you. When I get sick I don't do anything. Of course when I do get sick I'm down for the count. No such thing in my life like getting a little cold. I go all the way. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:45 AM

Don't know if any of you have ever heard of the Neti Pot (think that's how you spell it). I saw it on Dr. Oz last year and bought one. It comes in a kit and has packets of saline rinse in. It rinses out our sinuses and help prevent the mucous from going into your chest. Everything starts in the nose so it really makes sense. At the sign of a cold I use it right away and have really kept down those nasty colds. I usually get bronchitis at least once a year and have not had it for the last two years. My husband didn't believe it until he got a really bad cold last month. He didn't use it until the cold got really bad. Well when he did use it, he couldn't believe how it cleaned out his sinuses and he was actually able to breathe normally. You can buy them at most drug stores. Good luck!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by lovinquilting
Don't know if any of you have ever heard of the Neti Pot (think that's how you spell it). I saw it on Dr. Oz last year and bought one. It comes in a kit and has packets of saline rinse in. It rinses out our sinuses and help prevent the mucous from going into your chest. Everything starts in the nose so it really makes sense. At the sign of a cold I use it right away and have really kept down those nasty colds. I usually get bronchitis at least once a year and have not had it for the last two years. My husband didn't believe it until he got a really bad cold last month. He didn't use it until the cold got really bad. Well when he did use it, he couldn't believe how it cleaned out his sinuses and he was actually able to breathe normally. You can buy them at most drug stores. Good luck!!!

I use the Neti pot all the time. It takes a little time to get used to it, but if a person keeps at it, those things really help! Of course, being an old swimmer, I am really used to feeling water in my sinus...lol. I have kept colds away from using the Neti pot !
And Dixiechunk I was going to suggest you try Truvia, or Stevia in the Raw. Both are sugar substitutes made from the Stevia plant. I like these better because the others make me sick. I actually grew Stevia last summer and tried to use it to make some sweet tea for my hubby, but it just didnt work. I ended up buying "stevia in the raw" and really liked it. YOu can find it in the sugar isle at Walmart, with the other sugar substitues. This doesnt have any kind of after taste for me.
Hope you get to feeling better...and dont let it go too long....others are so right, it can turn into pheumonia very quickly. Nice you can do a little sewing...definitly get to a doctor if you dont feel like sewing anymore!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:17 AM

A couple years ago I came down with a cough that would not go away. I was on vacation in the fall in Yellowstone. When I got home, went to the Dr. and he diagnosed me with bronchitis and COPD. Put me on Advair and have not had the problem since. Although I ran out of med. a couple weeks ago and before I could get it refilled, that nasty cough returned. After starting up the med. again, it went away. It is an expensive med. ($253.00 last time for 1 month inhaler)and my ins. won't pay for it. I can get it in Mexico for $55.00 so I stock up when I go there in the winter. Have your Dr. check you out, it may not be just a cold.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:31 AM

I have found coughing and bronchial and sinus congestion can be helped by getting a humidifier. Also for night time coughing.....rub Vicks Vaporub on the soles of your feet, put on socks and go to bed. It really does help. Hope you are bettr so that you enjoy Christmas.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:45 AM

They tell me oregano oil applied to the soles of the feet helps but I haven't used it. I sip a cup of hot liquid and inhale the steam. Together the heat and steam help my sinuses, even if it's weak coffee or tea without medicine in it. Also, sit in the sun as much as possible, it does wonders for you. Do take care of yourself and try not to overdo during the winter holidays.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:07 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Have you tried Agave Nectar? It's great for diabetics. It tastes like a mild honey but doesn't spike your blood sugar. I buy it at Walmart usually in the sugar aisle sometimes it's with the honey and sometimes it is with the no gluten products. I don't think the stockers know exactly what it is.
Check this out before you diabetics use it...sugar is sugar is sugar like carbs are carbs are carbs...
Old 12-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

Sweetner Glycemic Index

Glucose 96
Fructose 22
Lactose 46
Sucrose (white sugar) 64
Brown sugar 64
Barley malt syrup 42
Brown rice syrup 25
Raw honey 30
Agave syrup 15
High fructose corn syrup 62
Stevia less than 1
Sugar cane juice 43
Evaporated cane juice 55
Maple syrup 54
Black strap molasses 55
Old 12-11-2010, 02:52 PM

Oh my, you get more done when ill than I do when I'm well. Hope all of you feel better real soon.