Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is enough..."Enough"? >

When is enough..."Enough"?

When is enough..."Enough"?

Old 12-18-2010, 06:33 AM

I would love to have them would pay for postage. I love making scrappy quilts. You don't know how pretty they are until they are done.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:41 AM

it is my #1 thing on the list for 2011. Make a string quilt. My ideal is to catch up with what I have, and then after each & every project sew the strings into blocks. That's the ideal. lol... It's the kind of person i Wish to be. I'm determined.

Insofar as the other kinds of odd cuttings... I know they can be turned into bricks and squares and then into quilts. I just don't think I'm that organized. Maybe I don't even Want to be that organized. lol... Others' suggestions about PIF, sound good and since I've already planned on doing that in 2011 with larger fabric & goodies (am already filling my basket), will do a scrapbag too.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Carron
I am referring to "enough" of saving the odds and ends of materials from projected finished. I save almost everything that is at the very least 2 inch by 2inch. sq.

I know this is what is done but, at what point is it an obsession and not just thrifty.

I have not done a scrapy quilt (probably because I have no idea how to do such a thing) and my collection is of various sizes not to mention becoming totally out of control.
I hate to toss some of the scraps because the materials are really beautiful, just not much of it.

Any thoughts about this situation? Thanks!

Why not make crazy quilts? I have at least a bushel basket full of scraps and wanted to use up some of them. I cut up old sheets, starched the squares quite heavily (13x13"), and used that for the foundation. Then squared them up to 12 1/2 i ". I sashed the sqs. with black and they are really striking. Have made a lap quilt for a friend, a throw for the sofa and am now working on a queen for a DGGD who just up-sized her bed. I'm still going to have more scraps than I'll know what to do with. Oh, yes, I used decorative stitches on the blocks. It's a tedious process, but it is one way to use those scraps. Have fun. Marge L.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:52 AM

My LQS takes donations to be given to State Womans Prison so that the ladies have things to make. Perhaps you could donate scraps to local battered womans shelter or other needy groups. check with your church to see if they accept fabric scraps to have church group make quilts for needy. I was also told that some groups accepts unquilted tops and they quilt them which saves on costs. Then you could have fun of making tops but not expense (or aggravation ) of finishing quilts.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:24 AM

I often give my scraps to my friends girls that like to sew. I end up with way too many scraps too!
Old 12-18-2010, 07:29 AM

There is a thread or two on here about making crumb quilts.
Put crumb quilts in the search.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:38 AM

I was doing the same thing. I spent time cutting them into sqares one year, whatever size I could get from the scrap, they stacked nicely that way. Then I stumbled upon hexagon quilts.
I found templates at moxyideas.com and the rest is history. When I don't feel like thinking but want to sew, I get out my little basket of hexes and enjoy. It is truly addictive. Now I guage the size of the scrap on whether or not I can use it for hex piecing.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:43 AM

our small group started having that problem.My sister NANCY came up with a solution! She got a large tote and put her scraps in it. she brought it to a meeting. CHARM QUILTS- told everyone they could start cutting for as many as they wanted BUT couldn't just take it, or use it to cut a whole quilt. I started by cutting4.5" squares-3 of each fabric (I have 3 kids). I then added my scraps, that I was willing to part with.passed it to the next person. by the time it gets back to you, there's all kinds of NEW fabrics to look at! People have new things to talk about-STACKED BRICKS, APPLECORE, BRAIDS, ect, -depending on what charm they decided on! We resorted, & took really small pcs out for a "applique" bag. CUTTING STRIPS AND SQUARES AS YOU GO MAKES IT EASIER TO USE SCRAPS LATER!
Old 12-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

So many wonderful suggestions here. I recently got the book "Crazy for Scraps" by Sally Scheider. It has patterns for 19 different scrap quilts and strategies for how to make an effective scrap quilt like "coordinated block method", "fabric menu" method and just seperating into values of light and dark. I have several scrappies on my bucket list in various stages of production and many in my mind. For examples I have a lot of red and green scraps that I am saving for a Christmas quilt. I have a scrappy log cabin done in 1 1/2" size logs that has been a WIP for a very long time now. That one is fun to watch come together as my tastes in fabric has changed so much over the years. I want to do one in all blues. I also have a bunch of HST in light and dark value of all different colors left over from another quilt that I have big plans for. I did a PIF here as well with some of my older stash that the fabric just wasn't my taste any more.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:27 AM

I have difficulty getting rid of any scraps and right now I am making a "Bonsib" pattern that requires putting squares together diagonally then cutting away part of it to make a square of 2 colors and I now wonder what I can do with the triangles that are left.