Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Enough is enough, or you do what you gotta do.

Enough is enough, or you do what you gotta do.

Last August when my wife and I visited Miriam on our GW pick up trip to Indy she gave me a rusted up Wizard sewing machine.
    Apparently it was exposed to the elements and the needle bar and presser foot shaft were seized up solid.
    This is the only picture I have of it:

It's the one in the rear.

For two months now almost to the day I've been soaking that thing with oil trying to get it to free up. I removed all the external chrome bits, needle plate, slide plate too and cleaned them.
    But the rusted parts just would not cooperate at all. So, at the end of my patience I pulled out the propane torch and gave it some serious HEAT!
    Heat the seized parts, oil them, tap them, wiggle them. Repeat until success is achieved or it melts.

Well the seized up parts gave in and they finally freed up. It's free all the way around now so when I get time I'll start the cleaning and diagnosing to see if it is fixable. I'm pretty sure it will be.

The Wizard brand is or was a Western Auto ( remember them? ) brand. It was made by Brother as indicated by the J- A1 and J- C1 stampings on the machine. It's got a built in metal cam stack and probably about 40 or so patterns on the dial.

So I'm thinking it just might be worth fixing it up. Maybe. When I get around to it.

Thanks Miriam .... now I got another project.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Joe
    You prooved that one should not give up to soon.
    Ken

Blog Entries
    Way to go, Joe!
    Stephanie in Mena

Blog Entries
    Joe you have nothing but time. It just wasn't going to happen in this zoo. Shoot a pic when you get it working. I hated to see that machine in such bad condition - I know it should be a really nice machine if it was pristine but it is good hands - I'm glad. I was very disappointed when I looked that machine over - it was VERY rusted. Chrome pitted pretty much everywhere. I've been trying to salvage a few that needed a lot less work lately. A needle clamp here and a bobbin winder there, here a motor belt, over here a tension spring, there a bobbin case, everywhere missing motors or wires... Seems like they all have issues or they don't land at my place. Then I need to do about 25 sewing tests to be sure they work. I need to clean some Singer 401 motors this week - I can't stand the sounds I'm hearing.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

I cut my teeth on a Wizard. (I can still head the radio ads now...go to your Western Auto Store.....) Wish I could say I loved it but the bobbin tension was always wandering, it is a wonder that I kept at sewing. Good luck.

piney

Blog Entries
    PROPANE TORCH.....................! ! !

golly-gee-whilikers.......never thought I would see the day

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I cut my teeth on a Wizard. (I can still head the radio ads now...go to your Western Auto Store.....) Wish I could say I loved it but the bobbin tension was always wandering, it is a wonder that I kept at sewing. Good luck.

piney
    LOL as good as a FW is I had my frustrations learning on one.

Way to go Joe. Propane torch and all. Sometimes one has to do what one has to do. I have one machine that I finally got out a monkey wrench to use on it as I could not get the hand wheel to turn (it was frozen up inside). I figured WTH, what could I lose? That sewing machine still has issues but her hand wheel now turns.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    Way to go Joe. Propane torch and all. Sometimes one has to do what one has to do. I have one machine that I finally got out a monkey wrench to use on it as I could not get the hand wheel to turn (it was frozen up inside). I figured WTH, what could I lose? That sewing machine still has issues but her hand wheel now turns.
    Nah - you got in a hurry. DH did that and messed up the timing on one - patience and a good solvent should free it up unless it is rust... I don't do rust.

All it takes to free up a rusty all metal machine is oil or solvent and sometimes HEAT. I have found that if oil can't seep into the seized up joint it can't free it up either. That's where the heat comes in. The heat causes the metals to expand and then the oil or solvent can get between the pieces and work. That's what I did yesterday with the torch. I would not have done that on a machine with plastic parts, but this one doesn't have any and I didn't concentrate the heat on any one part. I didn't even damage the paint.

Once it's cleaned I'll have to retime the hook and needle bar, but I think I can do that.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Nah - you got in a hurry. DH did that and messed up the timing on one - patience and a good solvent should free it up unless it is rust... I don't do rust.
    You are correct on both points Miriam. That machine will still not make a full turn of the hand wheel so I have assumed the timing of the hook and needle bar needs work.

If Joe works on the hook and needle bar timing of his Wizard I will be watching with eager eyes. Hint, Hint Joe!
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    I bought the same machine and cabinet only not painted at the Salvation Army for $8 last summer and it is a super good machine. Great stitches and she is a work horse. I replaced a zipper in a Carhart coat and it was like a hot knife thru butter. Then I repaired a seam in my favorite T shirt and no adjustments were necessary. It has the knee bar instead of a foot pedal and I love it -no more chasing the lost pedal. You will love sewing on on it.

Caroline,

I knocked the needle bar loose and the presser foot shaft when I was working on them. Finally just went ahead and loosened the set screws so everything would move without binding. I've got it pretty much snugged up for now, but it's got to be out of time.
    I'll do some pics as I work on it.

Joe

I love the white cabinet. That's really cool.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking it is the machine farthest back. It is a Japanese deluxe type machine. I think that one has a metal camstack - all metal machine or it wouldn't be worth the trouble. The two machines in front are some Joe picked up at GW auction... He is always willing to out bid me...

miriam is correct about the object of this thread being the machine in the rear. And it is an all metal machine with a metal cam stack. I'm hoping it can be brought back to life. I'm sure gonna try.

However I don't always out bid her. She has to drive across town to pick up her wins, I have to drive half way across IL and IN to collect mine. The nitwits in the Indy GW won't ship the heavy machines. Which is a good thing really.

Betty, the white cabinet looks good in a picture, but it's just old pealing latex paint over a shellac finish. We need to strip it and refinish it. Weather we make it white or wood with stain, it still needs to be done over again to make it right.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Joe, I found a picture - I hope it posts.
    Name:  window replacement tutorial 225.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  131.2 KB

Two things:
    1. You did WHAT with a propane torch??? Good grief! What about the paint? but then again, with all that rust (thanks for the pic miriam), you really had nothing to lose. I'm still wrapping my head around the image of you with wild eyes and a propane torch....

2. And my heart stopped when I saw that lovely Singer Art Deco cabinet defiled with white paint! Please, please, refinish her (as soon as possible) and return her to her original glory. And then perhaps you can post before and after pics. It's just to sad to see.

I really must stop reading some of these threads. They are too hard on my aging heart. Really. ;-)
    Dorothy in PA

Blog Entries
    it is a pity what some people will do to a poor old sewing machine and their hidyholes isn't it... With 40 or more cabinets I had to let that one go to a good home. Joe I think there might be a few more of those type machines lurking in my shop...

Miriam,
    Thanks for posting that pic. It really shows the rust and damage that poor thing has suffered. I added it to my photo gallery on my thumb drive.

Dorothy,

I used the torch to heat the needle bar and the part it moves up and down in as well as the presser foot shaft and it's mounting parts.
    I stayed away from the paint and just got it hot enough to allow the oil I was using to work in between the parts. I also had to tap on the shafts to encourage them to move. But it's free now, and no worse off than it was. I might even get it to sew again.
    As for the cabinet that white latex paint will come off, sometime next spring. Too darn cold and wet now.

Miriam,
    Don't need no more cabinets. Got no place for 'em.

Joe

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking the bobbin area was pretty rusted - did you get it to move? I was thinking it might need a new shuttle to work - I still have some parts machines...

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    I used the torch to heat the needle bar and the part it moves up and down in as well as the presser foot shaft and it's mounting parts.
    I stayed away from the paint and . . .
    Aaaaaah, Okkkkkk. So my image of a wild-eyed desperado was not accurate. Good! I was a little worried there.

I feel better already.
    Dorothy in PA

Miriam,

Yes I got the bobbin and it's parts freed up. That just took a small tap with a brass rod to jar it loose. The case with the hinged latch will have to be replaced eventually. One of the hinges is broken. But I'm in no hurry, I have to get it clean and retimed to see if it will sew again before I put any money into it.

Joe