Old 10-27-2012, 12:48 PM
J Miller

Default Enough is enough, or you do what you gotta do.

Last August when my wife and I visited Miriam on our GW pick up trip to Indy she gave me a rusted up Wizard sewing machine.
Apparently it was exposed to the elements and the needle bar and presser foot shaft were seized up solid.
This is the only picture I have of it:

It's the one in the rear.

For two months now almost to the day I've been soaking that thing with oil trying to get it to free up. I removed all the external chrome bits, needle plate, slide plate too and cleaned them.
But the rusted parts just would not cooperate at all. So, at the end of my patience I pulled out the propane torch and gave it some serious HEAT!
Heat the seized parts, oil them, tap them, wiggle them. Repeat until success is achieved or it melts.

Well the seized up parts gave in and they finally freed up. It's free all the way around now so when I get time I'll start the cleaning and diagnosing to see if it is fixable. I'm pretty sure it will be.

The Wizard brand is or was a Western Auto ( remember them? ) brand. It was made by Brother as indicated by the J- A1 and J- C1 stampings on the machine. It's got a built in metal cam stack and probably about 40 or so patterns on the dial.

So I'm thinking it just might be worth fixing it up. Maybe. When I get around to it.

Thanks Miriam .... now I got another project.

Joe