Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Fabric Depot in Portland, Ore.. >

Fabric Depot in Portland, Ore..

Fabric Depot in Portland, Ore..

Old 12-21-2010, 11:07 AM

Location: Moved from New Orleans to Port Neches, TX June 2014

Fabric Depot, to me, is just like Hancocks of Paducah. It MUST be on your "bucket list" of things to do!!! It is a wonderful place and there is ALWAYS some kind of sale going on. I go 2 or 3 times a year (when ever I go to Portland to visit DD) and after that we go and chill out at Mullnomah Falls! Love both places. I hope you get to go and if you can't make a big purchase, maybe you can get an idea or two! Enjoy!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:09 AM

I have never been in the store but I order most of my fabric from them. The fabric I have ordered has been good quality, half the price of fabric here in Canada and the shipping is a reasonable price and gets here as quick as any of the online shops that I have ordered from in Canada. I really like them.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by catrancher
I've been there. They have great prices, but it is a warehouse style store and very impersonal. Service is terrible. I wrote about it on my blog:

http://catpatches.blogspot.com/2010/...nd-oregon.html
Too bad! I have found just the opposite! Most helpful and friendly! Sorry you had a bad experience.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by catrancher
I've been there. They have great prices, but it is a warehouse style store and very impersonal. Service is terrible. I wrote about it on my blog:

http://catpatches.blogspot.com/2010/...nd-oregon.html
Gosh, sorry to hear about your experience. I've never had any problems ever at this store, and all the people are really very nice and more than helpful. There are a bunch of customers in the store all the time. Perhaps you caught someone unawares and at a bad moment. The personnel I have dealt with are almost without exception friendly and helpful. Also, many are pretty good sewers themselves and are helpful with their own tips for you if you ask.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:07 PM

VickyOH,

I haven't been there but Marshall's Dry Goods in Arkansas is known to be great. I have bought from them on-line and am happy with my orders.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:30 PM

I've been shopping there for over 10 years and never had a bad experience -- except not having enough $$ to buy every fabric I fell in love with! LOL

I have heard that it is the largest fabric store this side of the Mississippi River -- and I would believe it! Prepare to spend at least a couple of hours there! And enjoy your visit to the Pacific Northwest...
Old 12-21-2010, 04:29 PM

Like everyone says, awesome store.... sometimes a little overwhelming because it is, after all, a warehouse! Fun though. Good sales, good selection, good quality. WELL worth the visit. I usually take someone with me to help in selection since I do get overwhelmed though. My hubby is great at keeping me on task and finding things I like and can use (he's great at color!). My mom as well. Early or late is best if you go on a weekend as it is really crowded, but that is sometimes fun as well. Go ... that's all I can say! Hope you get a chance to go and enjoy it!!!

Oh, bolts are always 40% off .... just FYI. I used to be the costume person at my sons' high school and that's how we would get fabric for plays! Great deal (also get muslin by the bolt, bridesmaid dress fabric by the bolt .... etc.)
Old 12-21-2010, 05:34 PM

I have been to Fabric Depot two times when on vacations in the area. It is located in an old Fred Meyer Dept. store. They have an outside area with $3., $4. and $5. a yard. It is very good quality but you have to know what you want before you go. It would also be great for scrap quilts. The inside has lots of everything you might want. It would be good to know what you want before you go. I bought fat quarter bundles of beige fabric and a few other pieces. They have lots of sample quilts on the wall to view. Check their store web site for coupons. I used several that I downloaded before I left home.

Happy Shopping
Old 12-21-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by aneternalpoet
Even though I can't buy anything , I just was wondering if anyone in the Portland, Oregon area has been to the Fabric Depot, and knows anything about their prices of fabric? I will be in that area in a few days to help make my moms holiday easier ( we lost my step dad 2 months ago ), so I was hoping to finally go to the FD and see what all the hype is about that huge store... Anyone know anything about it? is it as awesome as I have heard, or is that a little hyped up?
Been there, done that. The prices are usually competitive with most Joanns, but the variety is AMAZING! You should also look up "The Mill End Store" while you are there. Go south on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd almost to Milwaukee. It is on the right. Enjoy! Not just quilting, but everything imaginable.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:00 PM

I live in the deep South so never been there but have ordered fabric frm their online store. The prices were great, Moda fabric, service fast and loved all the fabric--

Your sooo lucky to get the chance to go, have a great time-